Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to Upgrade Windows 7 Educational Machine, No Admin PW

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

So my nephew attended a charter school where he was given a Dell laptop as part of enrollment. Let me stress that the machine is GIVEN to him to OWN, even after he graduated. He asked me if I could help him figure out how to upgrade it to Windows 10, and I thought I would easily be able to do so but I realize I am way out of my depth.

The model is a Dell Latitude 3340, part of their "educational series". If you go to this link, it is the highest price version available (i5 processor): http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/latitude-3340-laptop/pd?ST=dell%20latitude%203340&dgc=ST&cid=263756&lid=5339970&acd=12309152537461010&ven1=syp61Pmqa&ven2=e

It's got a special version of Windows 7 Professional on it. The label on the bottom identifies it as "Windows 7 Pro Natl. Academic Only OA". The login screen identifies it as "Windows Enterprise." You are not able to do a basic simply upgrade from this version of Windows to Windows 10. However I have purchased a license for Windows 8, so I could in theory install Windows 8 onto the machine and then upgrade to 10 from there.

My issue is that there is some kind of administrator account attached to the machine preventing me from doing the upgrade. I am deeply bewildered as to what's going on, so here is what I can tell you.

When booted up, it loads Windows and one must press CNTRL-ALT-DEL to log in. When I do that, the user account SCHOOL\NAME appears (wherein "school" is the name of the charter school and "name" is the user account." I do have the password for this account but it is not an administrative account. There is an option to "switch user". I can then choose "other user" and there is a user name and password option.

Underneath this it says "Log on to SCHOOL", and then under that "How do I log on to another domain?" I have *NO IDEA* what that means or what a domain would have to do with logging into Windows. When I click this, a pop up appears that reads "To log on to another domain, type domain name\domain user name. To log on to your computer (not a domain), type (BUNCH OF CHARACTERS)\local user name."

When I log in under the user account, the following appears in text in the bottom right corner of the screen:

HOST NAME: (BUNCH OF CHARACTERS)

OEM Product: Latitude 3340, 1CCRC32

Boot Time: (Date/Time)

DNS Server: 

Logon Server: (More Characters)

User: (USER NAME)

I attempted to use a bootable USB drive to simply install Windows 8 onto the machine, but I am unable to change the boot options at start up because when I try to do so it demands an administrative password to continue. I did some googling and decided to attempt to remove the administrative password by opening up the machine and removing the battery from the motherboard for 30 seconds. When I booted up after, I got a screen saying I needed to set the date and time with several options. However I realized I stupidly forgot to reconnect the keyboard. I shut down, reconnected it, and booted up again, but it went to Windows without an issue.

However *NOW* suddenly it is insisting that the copy of WIndows is not genuine. It has that info displayed on the desktop and I am getting popups that state it too.

I am just completely at a loss as to what to do or what is even going on with this machine!

The ultimate goal is to get it running Windows ten, by way of installing a genuine copy of Windows 8 using the key I purchased.

I am deeply appreciative of any and all help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

So the admin password has probably been removed from the motherboard (along with the Win 7 key)...

Have you tried installing W8 since removing the CMOS battery?

#3 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:28 AM

So the admin password has probably been removed from the motherboard (along with the Win 7 key)...

Have you tried installing W8 since removing the CMOS battery?

I haven't, because I tried using F12 when booting up to then select the boot device and change it to the USB drive that has Windows 8 on it, and it still demands an administrative password to let me make that change. It won't allow an empty password as the password, it insists I type *something*.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:51 AM

have you tried "admin" and "password" as the password?

#5 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:08 AM

So it doesn't actually ask for a user id, IE: "admin". 

When I press F12 I get the following menu:

Boot mode is set to: LEGACY: Secure Boot: OFF

LEGACY BOOT:

Internal HDD

*USB Mass Storage Device

*Onboard NIC

OTHER OPTIONS:

BIOS Setup

*BIOS Flash Update

Diagnostics

*Change Boot Mode Settings

For anything with an asterisk, if I select it, a blue box with white text comes up that says

Enter Admin Password, Then [Enter], to Continue

[ESC] to Exit

There isn't even a SPACE to enter a password, you just type something and press enter, and if it's wrong it says "Incorrect Password Entered, Please Try Again"

You get 3 attempts and then it automatically reboots.

If I go into the BIOS Setup, there is an "Unlock" button. When I click it I get a window that reads:

The administrative password is set on this computer. You cannot access Setup until the correct password is entered. If you need to change any setup fields, you must first enter the administrative password in this field. Otherwise, you can view the various settings, and you may be able to change some depending on the way the administrator has configured the system.

Then it has "System Number: (CHARACTERS)" and then a place to enter a password. "password" and "admin" and "administrator" do not work.

BTW I hope it's obvious that where I've put "CHARACTERS" it actually has a string of letters and numbers that I'm not copying for security reasons since I don't really know what they represent, and not actually the word 'characters'.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

I actually meant using the words admin and password as password attempts, they're very common. "administrator" is also very common.

If you cannot guess the password you will probably not be able to unlock the BIOS. You could just call the charter school and ask for it, they may give it to you.

Edited by TsVk!, 01 February 2016 - 01:33 AM.

#7 jaybeebrad

jaybeebrad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:01 AM

Well I don't understand how removing the battery managed to remove the Windows key but NOT the administrator password!?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:34 AM

Per http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/52016/EN :

"Dell portable systems built in 2004 or later, have NO HARDWARE PASSWORD RESET. To clear a BIOS/HDD password on these systems, you will need to contact Dell Techncial Support."

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users