Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Starter Firewall Disabled

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kabo0m

Kabo0m

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

I cannot get the Windows Firewall enabled.

My friend upgraded my computer from XP to 7 Starter and put Zone Alarm on it as he insists on doing to all computers he builds. When I uninstalled it I was unable to enable Windows Firewall even after rebooting. I guess I can do this next:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2617842

I also did a search on Windows Firewall not enabling and saw that a lot of sites suggested doing this:

I did a search for what to do and ran a scan in SFC /SCANNOW:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>SFC /SCAN NOW

Microsoft ® Windows ® Resource Checker Version 6.0
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Scans the integrity of all protected system files and replaces incorrect version
s with
correct Microsoft versions.

SFC [/SCANNOW] [/VERIFYONLY] [/SCANFILE=<file>] [/VERIFYFILE=<file>]
    [/OFFWINDIR=<offline windows directory> /OFFBOOTDIR=<offline boot directory>
]

/SCANNOW        Scans integrity of all protected system files and repairs files
with
                problems when possible.
/VERIFYONLY     Scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair operati
on is
                performed.
/SCANFILE       Scans integrity of the referenced file, repairs file if problems
 are
                identified. Specify full path <file>
/VERIFYFILE     Verifies the integrity of the file with full path <file>.  No re
pair
                operation is performed.
/OFFBOOTDIR     For offline repair specify the location of the offline boot dire
ctory
/OFFWINDIR      For offline repair specify the location of the offline windows d
irectory

e.g.

sfc /SCANNOW
        sfc /VERIFYFILE=c:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll
        sfc /SCANFILE=d:\windows\system32\kernel32.dll /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDI
R=d:\windows
        sfc /VERIFYONLY

C:\Windows\system32>SFC /SCANNOW

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\Windows\system32>

This is the screenshots I saved in Paint:

Attached File  CannotTurnOnWin7FirewallAfterZAuninstall.jpg   52.62KB   0 downloads

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/V0OaaGqPSsMDQ7oiP5ebWTn

Edited by Kabo0m, 31 January 2016 - 06:47 PM.

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2
Video Card: Intel® GMA 950 (256Mb)     OS:   Windows 7 Starter 32-bit SP1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

Okay the step 1 link at http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx ..didn't load for me so I instead i scrolled down to how to enable it manually through SERVICES ran in admin mode under "If you still receive error 0x80070422 when you try to turn on your Windows Firewall, go to Method 4.".

I think this worked! I will reboot now.

Attached File  FirewallWin7StarterEnablingIt.png   103.55KB   0 downloads

DESKTOP - Main Rig:   Passmark & Mobo  (Manual) &  my Speccy (Video card is Radeon 7770) & 4Gb DDR2 RAM
NETBOOK:   PC: Acer Aspire ONE (D250 10.1")    //   CPU: Intel® Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz   RAM: 2.0 GB  DDR2

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

Please let us know if it worked for you.

I'll get an email when you respond to this topic.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Kabo0m

Kabo0m
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

Yes it worked. Thanks for checking on my situation. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users