Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asking advice to save an old malfunctioning DVR HDD.v

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shadowghost0

shadowghost0

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:30 PM

Hello, and beforehand, thanks to take on your time and interest to read my thread. :thumbup2:

Don't get confused by the title (I sucked at creating them), this issue is pretty straightforward.

My question is if there's some way I can save, read 'make it usable again', an old HDD that stop working. I'm gonna give you the insights into it.

This HDD was bought circa 2013 with the sole purpose of being a disk for some DVR. It worked flawlessly for two years and on late 2015 the DVR started to display problems. The record was not being done anymore and the device would reboot on a random fashion.

We removed this HDD and replaced the DVR with a new one. Since then, the DVR is working fine. However, I couldn't understand what happened with the drive. After removing... I plugged it in on my computer (with a USB to SATA/PATA adapter) to check on it and for my surprise, the thing was not readable. Windows kept telling me to format the drive, which I did so... only to find some issue in the middle of formatting process.

After leaving the drive forgotten for some time, I decide to try and see if I can make it usable once again. I connected the drive inside the computer (no adapter this time) and even so... nothing changed. Then I tried to format it with diskpart: elevated cmd > diskpart > select disk 2 (picture of cmd) > clean > create partition primary > active > format fs=ntfs; here the the issue with formatting happens again. At some point between 20% and 30% the cmd prompts an error.

I downloaded Seatools (it is a Seagate drive) and run its tests. I ran a long generic test and it said there's nothing wrong. I tried HDDtune and ActiveSMART. They didn't even recognize the HDD.

Then while I was writing this thread I tried one more time to format it with cmd, but this time I used format fs=ntfs quick and then... it completed! I don't know why. Although I sense it's still not working right. I get some intense disk usage (the LED) when I perform some action that requires Hard drives to be part of it, like POST, opening the software utilities that I've mentioned, performing a software cleaning, etc. I too ran checkdisk. First through cmd with /r /x /b; it gave me nothing wrong. And after through the Windows application with both options selected; this time chkdsk froze and I had to reboot. (I let it stay for more than 5 hours)

I tried to copy some random file to the disk (~250MB) and it worked as nothing wrong. Stil... I'm not convinced that I can use this drive for storage.

So my question is: can I use it or it would be better to performs some more tests? If the answer is the latter... which tests?

Thanks again.

Attached Files

• Attached File  pic1.png   506.39KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  cmd1.png   51.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  chk.png   17.73KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 06:41 PM

I would try the following. I am not sure why Windows only did a quickformat.

If this is a secondary drive with no data on it then download Partition Wizard. Zero Wipe the drive quick. This may take awhile depending on the size of the drive. Create a new primary partition formatted to NTFS.  I am only guessing here but the DVR may have been using a different file system that Windows does not recognize such as EXT (linux). Partition Wizard will see these partitions. 

If you have any data on the drive back it up. Another disk diagnostic you can use is GsmartControl. Do the short and long test. Look under the attributes tab for any pink or red rows.

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 January 2016 - 06:41 PM.

#3 shadowghost0

shadowghost0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:27 AM

I have no idea either. That was extremely unfortunate for me.

Anyway, I did what you have suggested. Zero wiped and created a new primary partition with Partition Wizard. Nothing abnormal happened on this steps.

I downloaded and executed GsmartControl. Did both the short and the extended tests. I am not sure about the results, so I'm gonna post the tabs here.

Thanks for helping!

Attached Files

• Attached File  atrib.png   718.06KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  log.png   504.98KB   0 downloads

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:49 AM

The hard drive has quite a few reallocated sectors but pending sector count is zero which is a good thing. At any rate, I would not be putting important data on the drive unless it was also backed up on a second device. 

#5 shadowghost0

shadowghost0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hmm, I see. Let's say that I begin to use it anyhow... What kind of issues do you think I can encounter in the future?

Also, now Windows' UAC requires Admin permission for me to copy, paste or remove something from the disk. This wasn't the case before. Why is that since I did the format through Partition Wizard in the very same computer?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:38 AM

I never ran into that problem before. Take a look at the permissions on the drive and give yourself ownership.

#7 shadowghost0

shadowghost0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:42 PM

I got around the permission problem. Thanks.

But as I was testing the disk a few days (that's why I didn't replied earlier), leaving some unimportant files in it, three day ago... I got "E:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable". Let me put this clear... I wasn't using the drive all the time.  I just left some files there and leave it alone. Then out of blue this error message popped when I tried to open the disk.

I reboot and then the drive was all accessible again.

I don't have a clue, seriously.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2016 - 10:52 PM

If using the USB adapter for connecting the drive, the adapter could be the problem. Have you tried using a different USB port. If the computer was left on for those three days then disable USB selective suspend as shown here

#9 shadowghost0

shadowghost0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

It wasn't on a USB adapter. It was, since I opened this thread, plugged with a SATA cable on the MOBO.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:19 PM

All I can suggest is if you receive another error like you posted, do not use the drive.

#11 shadowghost0

shadowghost0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 12:38 AM

This topic can be locked since I could not save my HDD. Thanks for the help anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users