Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing operating systems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Festus16

Festus16

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:26 PM

I have an old computer with windows 7 on it.  I want to change the operating system from windows 7 to windows xp.  Is that possible?

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2016 - 05:17 PM.
Moved from Computer Gaming to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Festus16

Festus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I have an old computer with windows 7 on it.  I want to change the operating system from windows 7 to windows 98.  Is that possible?

#3 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

Hello there, 

Indeed its possible, you'll need to have Windows XP or Windows 98 disk  and then you can begin your installation. Please see the link on how to do a clean Windows install.  https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/1bb3c27b-0523-436d-b4cc-ea3baa27d51d/how-to-downgrade-windows-7-to-windows-xp?forum=w7itproappcompat

Hope this helps! 

#4 Festus16

Festus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

Thank you, very much appreciated.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

You will need:

1. A Windows XP installation disc.

2. A license key for Windows XP.

3. Windows XP compatible drivers for system. If you don't have these already, you can check to see if they are available on the PC manufacterer's website. You may not be able to find any.

4. The know-how to delete Windows 7, install Windows XP, and avoid losing your personal data in the process.

Best of luck. :)

#6 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

If I may ask, why do you need XP on the computer? If it is because of a program not running properly, have you tried compatibility mode?
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#7 Festus16

Festus16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:32 PM

No, it is because I want to run Doom or Wolfenstein that are operated by mouse only.  I only have use of one arm and would put this on an older computer so I could play the games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users