Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Professional 64 - shut down video card error

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 LuAnne123

LuAnne123

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hi I am now having a problem that came out of nowhere. My Windows 7 professional 64 shut down and wouldn't restart- had to do a forced restart. Got a white  screen that turned pink and then said something about the video card driver failed or something. I got the computer back up and running but now i'm afraid it won't work (it is new as of Sept 015) for tomorrow for work. Can anyone help? I have the amd crimson and see a side by side error a lot. what shoulld do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

First thing to try is re-installing the video card driver, from the manufacturers website.

#3 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello TsVk!

I was having trouble and Microsoft called me back. They took remote control and went to the video card driver and updated it. Then, they did a clean boot. I have Windows 7 64 pro and an AMD Radeon ™ R9 200 series 

Now, when i right click my  mouse on the desktop i get a choice of AMD crimson settings. if i click on that AMD crimson settings i get an error message. When i go into device manager and check my device, it says it is functioning properly. i think this is going to give me more trouble for some reason. The microsoft guy is a level 2 tech and he said "don't worry about it". I think there is something wrong with this but i don't have the techical skills and AMD won't help me. Can you please tell me where i can go to get tech support with this. 

Also, i can't always restore my system to a restore point and it loses my restore points. 

It also took a really long time to reboot yesterday. Something isn't right and i really don't know where to go for help. Is there a service or anything where i can get help?

Thank YOu,

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:27 PM

OK LuAnne,

I'll try and have a deeper look for you. Please download and run Minitoolbox, then copy and paste the results into your next reply.

#5 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

Hi TsVk!

I have a text file is it safe to put all that info on here? 

Thank You!

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Yes, there is no personally identifying information in that log.

#7 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

see attached.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MTB.txt   45.28KB   5 downloads

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

Let's try and fix that Crimson bug first....

• go to crimson install folder (Program Files/Program Files x86)
  • go cnext folder
  • right click cnext.exe
  • select properties
  • select security tab
  • click edit button
  • now ensure 'Allow' box is ticked for all users & admin,
  • apply once done,
  • reboot PC

Does the error persist when you open the Crimson settings?

#9 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

According to the guy at Microsoft, i am not supposed to be using that Crimson thing.

#10 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

last night about 630-7 pm our time Microsoft called me back and took remote control and he updated the driver. He told me not to do anything with the crimson error message and just leave it alone. i really don't need video games i am a real estate broker. now my card seems to work ok. can you tell if it is ok today on that report?i am afraid if i do anything i will mess it all up. i know you are right and there is a problem as isn't crimson the new program?

#11 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:03 PM

Also, AMD said:
Please uninstall AMD drivers using the Display Driver Uninstaller program in safe mode.
Start the driver installation and under installation type go for custom
Install just the driver. some options are mandatory dont worry about those. After the installation is done reboot
Now install remaining items except for catalyst control center. Again don't worry about mandatory stuff. after the installation is done reboot again
Install catalyst control center.
As you said you don't need Raptr and AMD gaming evolved app I suggest you to perform a clean driver installation. While installing please go with the Custom installation and de-select the raptr and AMD gaming evolved app which you don't need.
Thank you for contacting AMD Technical support.
I understand that you recently purchased the Dell system which runs in windows 7 operating system. The Dell people installed AMD Gaming Evolved and raptr application which you don't need. If I have missed any critical information about your inquiry, please let me know as my suggestions below may change.
Please be informed that I didn't receive any attachment as you said.
If you don't need the above application you can remove it. If it is listed in the "Program and features" in the control panel you can uninstall it directly. But if it is not listed, I suggest you to perform re-installation of the crimson driver software and while installing the same I suggest you to perform the custom installation and there you can uncheck the application which you don't need.
I suggest you to remove old driver completely from your system before you proceed with new driver installation. To perform clean uninstallation of existing Catalyst driver from your system, please use AMD Clean Uninstall Utility. The AMD Clean Uninstall Utility instructions and download link can be found here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx
If you wish to perform manual uninstall of existing Catalyst driver, please go through following knowledgebase article: How-To Uninstall AMD Catalyst™ Drivers From A Windows® Based System.
To know more, please visit https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1324
Before beginning the new driver installation process, please run Windows Update to ensure that there are no outstanding recommended/required updates, especially updates for the .Net or C++ frameworks, or Service Pack updates. To download latest compatible driver for your graphics card, please visit www.amd.com/drivers/
If it is a laptop AMD recommends using the graphics drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer as the manufacturer may customize the drivers to support the built-in display and the features and functions specific to the notebook. Customized graphics drivers are available for download from most notebook manufacturer's web site.
If the current operating system is not the version originally installed on the notebook it may not meet all requirements and compatible graphics drivers may not be available. Please refer to the notebook manufacturer for supported operating systems and drivers.
AMD provides a reference for AMD Mobility Radeon graphics drivers with limited support for notebook specific features and functions. This is not intended to be used as a replacement for the notebook manufacturer's driver. To know more, please visit https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1336
To know How-To Install AMD Catalyst™ Drivers For A Windows® Based System, please visit: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1325
Thank you for contacting AMD Technical support.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:07 PM

How did you get in touch with Microsoft?

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:15 PM

can you tell if it is ok today on that report?

I can see that it is not ok.

#14 LuAnne123

LuAnne123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:18 PM

I agree and i am afraid to do all of this stuff as i am not computer tech saavy and i need this computer for work. Do you think i am going to have problems?
How serious are these issues?
MS called me back as i had an open case on an outlook issue. i told them about the pink screen and white screen i got on Sunday

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I am a professional industrial tech support and sytem administrator, I promise I won't tell you to do anything that will break your machine.

There is a serious issue with your machine concerning the volume shadow copy, I do not know if your machine will continue to work just fine as is... it may well do, or it could lose data.

But first it would be best just to get the Crimson bug out so it doesn't keep flooding your event log with errors, making it harder to fix in general.

So...

• go to crimson install folder (Program Files/Program Files x86)
  • go cnext folder
  • right click cnext.exe
  • select properties
  • select security tab
  • click edit button
  • now ensure 'Allow' box is ticked for all users & admin,
  • apply once done,
  • reboot PC

Does the AMD settings panel work now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users