Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee has installed itself

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Duckpate

Duckpate

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hi,

I recently underwent a clean up process with support on this forum.

At the start of the process i was having problems with BT Netprotect (McAfree). Following the clean up I am now using Avira Free edition (McAfee was removed). Today I found that McAfee had somehow 'reappeared' on my machine. Looking in control panel it said it was installed today. I then uninstalled it in Add/Remove programs.

Avira advised me that it had prevented somethng altering the hosts file (i guess it was McAfee trying to do that).

Im concerned where McAfee came from and how it got back on my machine.

Id really appreciate any advice. Should i be concerned?

Thanks

DP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

Hi:

When you say "McAfee" can you be more specific about exactly which application/version?

The reason for asking is that "McAfee Security Scan Plus" is a free tool that often comes bundled with other, legitimate, 3rd-party software UNLESS the user opts-out during the install wizard.  So, you may have inadvertently allowed it be installed when you installed another software program.

Or are you talking about a full McAfee AV or security suite product, perhaps from your ISP (BT)???

Thanks,

MM

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

According to British Telecom Customer Support, they offer BT NetProtect Plus anti virus which actually downloads McAfee.If you are using BT, you may have clicked on something which redownloaded NetProtect or it may be they did that automatically once detecting it was gone. You can always Contact BT Support (Chat or Call) and ask them about it... or file a complaint.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Duckpate

Duckpate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for responding guys.

I think it was the security scan plus version, but to be honest I went straight to control panel and got rid of it.

I know I haven't installed anything personally today as it was the first time I used the machine and the install date was definitely today.

I do use BT they are my ISP and I did have the Net protect / McAfee software before so I guess BT could have sent it to me.

Should I be worried or just keep an eye on things? All virus scans are clean.

Thanks
DP

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

Major software vendors like Adobe, Java and others have been bundling third-party software (toolbars, add-ons) and utilities from McAfee and Norton in their download packages which allows users to perform a system checkup of their computers.That's why it is important to read the EULA and everything very carefully. You should be able to uncheck the box to include McAfee or Norton and any free toolbars that are offered during installation or updates unless you want them.

If it actually was BT NetProtect Plus and not McAfee Security Scan Plus, then I would call and complain.

Either way, both products are legitimate software.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Duckpate

Duckpate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:25 PM