Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD under strange circumstances

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Zerkon

Zerkon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:04 PM

First some information about my system. I ran the Sysnative BSOD Dump tool but it says "Autoruns...D O N E The system cannot find the file specified." and then it just says waiting for tasks to complete indefinitely, so not sure what to make of that.

OS - windows 7 64 bit, this was the original one on this computer and is retail. It was installed sometime in 2011 when my pc was made.

· CPU = i7-2600k
· Video Card = R9 390(This is the one new part of my rig although this problem existed BEFORE upgrading so I'm pretty sure this isn't related)
· MotherBoard = P8P67 PRO
· Power Supply = Rosewill 850W
My computer was custom built by a friend, and naturally it's a desktop.

For a long time my computer has been getting the occasional BSOD, however it always seems to come in bursts of a few in a week, then a few weeks with none, etc. It has always primarily happened while playing counter strike global offensive, but it can happen when I'm playing any "intensive" game. it recently has been getting more frequent, and I've paid more attention to the bsod that I was getting. It is always the same one. "A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated" and it always has 0x000000F4 (0x00000003) after it.

From what I've googled this usually means hardware issues, specifically memory as in ram or the hard drive, however I have not had luck finding anything wrong. I have run memtest 86+ multiple loops without any errors, ran ChkDsk without any errors, and ran sfc /scannow without any reported errors. I have also run multiple hdd "health checking" applications includign the one made by the company that made mine(Western Digital) and they all came back healthy. a few weeks ago I did run driver verifier but it just made my entire system unable to boot, and I had to turn it off again to get anything at all to work again. Honestly I kindof forgot about that until now, that probably points to a driver being messed up, right?

And to make all this more confusing, my computer never leaves a dump. I've looked at multiple guides on how to configure them and definitely have all the right boxes ticked, but I never actually get anything in my minidump OR memory.dmp folders. I don't even see the memory.dmp folder, although I have no idea if that means anything. Since the bsod seems to be memory related that might be why there is no dump, but it definitely makes diagnosing harder.

I am an IT major and have been able to fix all my other pc issues with a little help from google and some tinkering, and I like to think I know a little about fixing computers, but this has just got me stumped and frustrated. Any ideas for what to do next would be great, I really appreciate you reading this.

PS, this probably won't help you if you don't play counter strike, but a very weird thing about this bsod is it will NEVER happen unless I play official matchmaking competitive mode, or play in a third party pug system like cevo. It will NOT bsod if I'm in a valve casual mode or any community server from the server browser, I have hundreds of hours logged and it has always followed these rules. It doesn't make any sense to me why it only bsods in the mode that has LESS players in the server at a time, but I figured that might somehow help you.

Edited by Zerkon, 31 January 2016 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:01 AM

Update!

I just got another bsod but this time it was an 0x7a one and I looked up that one and seems to point to the exact same hardware parts, so at this point I'm pretty confident that I'll need to replace ram or hdd I'm guessing?

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location. (By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop)
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

It sounds to me like there's something involved in the video or in counter strike that causes this.

While waiting for a reply, please start these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the video stress tests please.

Unless you're able to afford it, don't start randomly replacing components - it can get very expensive without actually fixing anything.

BSOD analysis is pretty complicated and it takes a lot of experience to get comfortable with it (I've been specializing in it for about 10 years now).

For example "usually means hardware issues" also means it can be a compatibility issue, malware, or even a low-level driver problem.

As you state that the system doesn't make memory dumps, we'll need another report.

Also, please make sure that you note the description on the memory dump before restarting your system.
Here's an image of what we need (the stuff in RED):  http://www.carrona.org/bsodimg.html

Here's the other report procedure, please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Edited by usasma, 02 February 2016 - 08:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 09:00 AM

BTW - I maintain a website where you can get some additional info about BSOD's:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I have attached the bsod-inspector report and the event viewer zip file as requested. I have already been running hwmonitor occasionally and while I usually don't see it immediately before the crash, I have never noticed any temperatures anywhere near a dangerous level while gaming or otherwise, but I'll keep on using it just incase. Next time I get a bsod I'll make sure to take a photo of it and post all the parts you said to. Again thank you for the help, hopefully somewhere in the things I linked will help!

Also, when I run the video stress tests is there something in particular I'm looking for? Will it give me a message with what's wrong or just cause another bsod if it hits something bad.

Attached Files

Edited by Zerkon, 02 February 2016 - 05:03 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 07:36 AM

What you look for with the video stress test is any problems that occur.

The test may show you errors, or you may see video (or other) problems while running the tests.

You also see what the temps are - as overheating will cause video problems.

Only 315 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most systems with SP1 have 350 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

These devices have problems in Device Manager:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2    BTH\MS_BTHPAN\7&256AD76A&0&2    This device is disabled.
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter    ROOT\NET\0002    This device is disabled.
Not Available    ROOT\NET\0003    The drivers for this device are not installed.
MpKsl52be2ebd    ROOT\LEGACY_MPKSL52BE2EBD\0000    This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed.
Virtual Audio Cable    ROOT\MEDIA\0002    This device is disabled.
High Definition Audio Device    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1002&DEV_AA01&SUBSYS_00AA0100&REV_1005\5&3A376CA&0&0001    This device is disabled.
Bluetooth Audio Device    BTHENUM\{61118058-486C-4BB0-B4B8-ACE4DCADEC44}_LOCALMFG&0000\8&FE62D2E&0&000000000000_00000000    This device is disabled.

Have you disabled the one's that are disabled?  If so, why did you disable them?

Please re-enable them and update their drivers/software, then feel free to disable them again.  If unable to update them, please uninstall them.

The MpKsl52be2ebd driver is a component of Microsoft Security Essentials.  If you're certain that your system isn't infected, please uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials and install a freshly downloaded copy.

There are many, many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report - but no reports of BSOD's

This is most likely a hardware problem, but I will hold off on deciding until I look at the Admin logfile.

NOTE:  after looking at the Admin logfile, I suspect that a hardware problem may be possible.  As such, please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Daemon Tools (and Alcohol % software) are known to cause BSOD's on some Windows systems (mostly due to the sptd.sys driver, although I have seen both dtsoftbus01.sys and dtscsibus.sys blamed on several occasions).

Please un-install the program, then use the following free tool to ensure that the troublesome sptd.sys driver is removed from your system (pick the 32 or 64 bit system depending on your system's configuration):  New link (15 Aug 2012):  http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads (pick the appropriate version for your system and select "Un-install" when you run it).
Alternate link:  http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd
Manual procedure here:  http://daemonpro-help.com/en/problems_and_solutions/registry_and_sptd_problems.html
NOTE:  The uninstaller may not find the SPTD.sys driver.  Don't worry about it, just let us know in your post.

MSI Afterburner (along with Riva Tuner and EVGA Precision) is known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Found a bugcheck (BSOD) from 31 January.  It was a STOP 0xF4 and it saved the dump file at C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Please zip that up and upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Make sure that it's shared and post a link to it here.

Here's some info about the STOP 0xF4 errors:  http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x000000F4

#7 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

Thank you again for your time.

I'm currently working on updating all the windows updates, excluding the free windows 10 upgrade. 

For the various disabled devices, the audio ones were actually disabled very recently trying to fix this same problem, although it clearly did not work. I believe I disabled the bluetooh device and virtualbox drivers when I was troubleshooting a network related issue awhile ago. I reinstalled Microsoft security essentials and uninstalled the potentially problematic programs as suggested. After uninstalling Daemon Tools the tool linked did NOT find SPTD.sys driver.

I have not had the time yet to run the hardware diagnostics but will as soon as possible, and as I mentioned in my original post I already ran memtest86+ for 2 loops without any errors, although I will certainly run it some more to be safe.

That's very interesting that there was a file in MEMORY.DMP as there definitely was not a memory.dmp earlier that day. I hopefully linked it correctly through onedrive here.

Well I typed all that stuff up and then I ran furmark and after about a minute it got to around 85 degrees, and then slowly went up one degree at a time for a few more minutes, then as it hit about 90 degrees suddenly I got another BSOD, this time it was this. Note that I have not finished updating windows yet so I will run this test again after I finish those updates, but I thought this was worth posting now. also I checked and MEMORY.DMP appears to still be the same dump as before from the 31st.

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
STOP: 0x0000007A (0XFFFFF6C40007D00, 0XFFFFFFFC000000E, 0X00000003338E0860, 0XFFFFF88000FA0630)
partmgr.sys - address FFFFF88000FA0630 base at FFFFF88000F92000, datestamp 4f641bc1

I hope I typed all that correctly.

EDIT: I ran furmark again and this time it was able to run longer, and seemed to stabilize around 92-94 degrees, I believe my gpu (r9 390) thermal throttles at 92 degrees, so that makes sense. However while it was capping out I noticed that all my desktop icons disappeared and my taskbar aswell, which I believe means windows explorer crashed. It remained this way for a minute seemingly fine otherwise, then I ended the stress test and I immediately got another BSOD when I hit ESC. Here's the code, it's worth noting that it's always been 0x03 and never 0x06 on the second code.

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.
STOP: 0x000000F4 (0X0000000000000003, (Might be wrong number of 0's) 0XFFFFFA800D08FB10, 0XFFFFFA800D08FDF0, 0XFFFFF8004985750)

Edited by Zerkon, 03 February 2016 - 10:37 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 06:06 AM

The MEMORY.DMP file is written over every time a crash occurs that writes a memory dump.

I found out about it when I found the error that said the system couldn't write a minidump from the MEMORY.DMP file

It sounds to me that the video card is overheating.  Make sure that the card is clean and free of dust (take proper anti-static precautions when doing this) and that the fan is turning freely.

If it still gets hot, try pointing a house fan into the case (on high) to test and see if that stops/lessens the problem.  There is always the possibility that the temp sensors aren't functioning correctly, and that the card is much hotter than the sensors indicate (this happened to me and I got 2nd degree burns finding it out!).

FYI - there are 16 characters after the x in the error message where you say there may be the wrong # of 0's

They can be any number and the letters A through F (32 bit systems will only have 8 characters).

The one ending in 3 means that the error occurred in a process, while the one ending in 6 means that the error occurred in a thread.

This isn't real significant to us, but we will take it into consideration when troubleshooting.

The memory dump is corrupted.  The error says that you don't have a pagefile, yet your reports show that you do have one.

All I can get from it is "Unknown_Module" is at fault. :(

But, it still looks like there are some hardware issues here.

Continue with the tests so we can be sure that the only problem lies in the video.

If the video is the only problem, the first step is to rule out cooling issues with the video.

If those are ruled out, then the next test is to try another video card.

If you don't have one to try, you can purchase one from a store that will let you return it if it's not needed (and will refund your money).

#9 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 10:36 PM

I ran the other hardware tests and everything came back as ok. I attempted to lower the temperature of the gpu while using furmark and got it to around 88-89 for about 5 minutes and there was no problems, however I then stopped trying to cool the card and was unable to get it to bsod again, with the temperature settling around 94-95 C again. Not sure exactly how long furmark should be run for, as I know it can damage cards if it's run too long, but it encountered the bsod in well under 10 minutes both times before, now I "unfortunately" cannot get it to bsod again. This is the problem with this bsod is it does not seem to be consistent and goes away temporarily. I will try to get a "natural" bsod in the meantime but we will see. 

I do have my old GPUs and could put them in but seeing as how I cannot replicate the bsod consistently I'm not sure how helpful they would be right now, although if I did switch to them and then got another bsod I suppose that would eliminate it being the card. I will most likely try switching to them in the near future to see if I can get another bsod with them.

I'm open to trying anything at this point but I'm not so sure if it's overheating, as it definitely was not getting any higher than the low 80s as a peak while getting the "natural" bsods.

As you can see my minidumps don't seem to conform to logic. I'm guessing that would make the process easier if those actually worked, any idea what's causing them to not work?

Edited by Zerkon, 04 February 2016 - 10:42 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:40 AM

Overheating is just one symptom (and it's the easiest for us to see) - but there's a lot of other things that can go wrong (such as a faulty temp sensor, or a component that's only indirectly influenced by the heat).

I'd suggest trying another video card and let it run for an extended period of time.

Otherwise, we go back to basics:

- it's either a software or a hardware problem.

- if Windows is fully updated, then it's (most likely) either a 3rd party (non-Microsoft) software problem or a hardware problem

- if you reinstall Windows "clean" ( http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean ) and still have problems - then it's most likely a hardware problem.

- if it's a hardware problem, we have these 2 resources:

http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Unfortunately, these tests will take a long time, and some of them will restrict your activity with the PC.
It's your choice as to how to proceed, but we will be here to help out whichever path you choose.

Good luck!

#11 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

I've had my eye on getting an ssd to boot my operating system from recently anyway, if I got an ssd and freshly installed windows on that then used my current hdd for file storage without wiping it, that would achieve the same results as a fresh install on my current hdd, correct? 

Edited by Zerkon, 05 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 05:55 AM

Yes but.....

There are difficulties in getting the system to boot properly if you retain the old hard drive.

A couple of things:

- disconnect the old HDD when installing Windows on the new SSD (this'll prevent Windows from booting from the old hard drive and then transferring control to the new SSD)

- disable the ability to boot from the old HDD in the BIOS/UEFI - otherwise you'll end up booting to the old HDD (the system may not give you the option for which device to choose)

- test the old HDD with a bootable diagnostics (such as Seatools for DOS) - to be sure it's working properly.

- finally, take the data off of the old HDD at some point and then format the old HDD (to remove any file system errors and the boot stuff) - then you can put the data back on the old HDD and all will be well.

#13 Zerkon

Zerkon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:57 PM

I got an SSD and did a fresh install of windows 10 on it and it has fixed the problem! Probably. I can't really know for sure but it's been well over a week now with not a single issue, so I'm fairly confident that the problem is now fixed. Thanks for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users