Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grub broken?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:59 AM

I was on my Debian Linux when out of nowhere, it crashed ( perhaps ram?). I tried turning it back on and it said that stuff was corrupt so I ran dsck and it allowed t to run again. After rebooting grub rescue opened with the error: Unknown file system. I do not know how to fix it. I also cannot find the location of my grub modules, as if I do

Ls (hd0,msdos5)/anything

It just says unknown file system. What do I do?

ooh, i have a signature

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Should add, this is a dual boot with Windows 7

ooh, i have a signature

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 01:35 PM

Sorry bad post? 

Edited by pcpunk, 31 January 2016 - 02:40 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:00 PM

1. You just answered your own question by asking me what I meant with the ram. With all due respect, I know I did not have enough ram for what I was doing, you did not need to state what I meant to myself

2. Unless I am mistaken I do have a swap file.

3. I do not see grub, upon startup it sends me here. I have been able to see both and run both at will before this crash. After this, I could only access Windows. Now, because grub has stopped working, I cannot access anything.

4.i am on a mobile device, so typing is a problem for me. I apologize for saying dsck

5. How am I to install this program

6. How am I to post my specs without access to my computer? What I do know off the top of my head is I have a quad core processor, 4 gigs of ram, crap gpu, it has uefi and it is a dual boot with Windows 7 and Linux

If I sound disrespectful, please not it is not my intent

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 31 January 2016 - 02:07 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

I was on my Debian Linux

What Debian are you on?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

Dk why it is necessary, but debian jessie

Edited by TOMIS13LACK, 31 January 2016 - 03:17 PM.

ooh, i have a signature

#7 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

is there any way that, from grub, i can just delete grub?

ooh, i have a signature

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Do you have anything you can boot the computer with, such as a Linux DVD or USB?

#9 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:58 PM

I do, yes.

ooh, i have a signature

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:00 PM

What is it that you have, specifically?

Edited by Al1000, 31 January 2016 - 04:01 PM.

#11 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:13 PM

the rescue mode cannot identify the root file system(sda5)

i have an installation disk

ooh, i have a signature

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:25 PM

In the first instance I would boot up with the Debian installation disk and see how the partitions look in GParted.

Edited by Al1000, 31 January 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#13 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

Not sure if you are referring to Grub rescue, or the Debian disc's rescue mode? I've assumed Grub, and included instructions below for booting the Debian disc's rescue mode.

A live-DVD would be more useful, but this may still work depending on what commands others ask you to perform. The available commands are pretty limited though. I'd suggest you start by sharing the output of:

parted -l

So everyone can see your partitions. Since you're posting from a phone it might be easiest just to take a picture of your computer screen.

Boot A Debian 8 (Jessie) Installation Disc In Rescue Mode:
1. Boot the Debian installation disc.
2. Choose "Advanced options", and press "enter".
3. Choose "Rescue mode", and press "enter".
4. Choose your language. It would be advisable to use the same language used in your existing Debian installation.
5. Choose your location.
6. Choose your keyboard keymap. If unsure use "American English".
7. Wait patiently while components are loaded, and networking is configured.
8. Choose a hostname for your PC. Since this doesn't matter in your senario you can leave it as the default "debian". Press "tab", which will move the selection to the "continue" button, and then press "enter" to continue.
9. You'll be prompted to enter your domain name. You can skip this. To do so, press "tab", and then "enter".
10. Wait while it sets up the clock. Then choose your timezone, and press "enter".
11. You will be prompted to choose a root file system to use. Some helpers may request you to use a specific root file system, but for the moment choose "Do not use a root file system" (so you can just use the root filesystem on the installation disc), and press "enter". Then choose "Execute a shell in the installer environment", and press "enter". You will be prompted to confirm, press "enter".

You should now see this:
lFDw50i.png

You are ready to run commands.

When finished using Rescue mode type:

reboot
This will reboot the computer.

#14 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

Not sure if you are referring to Grub rescue, or the Debian disc's rescue mode? I've assumed Grub, and included instructions below for booting the Debian disc's rescue mode.

A live-DVD would be more useful, but this may still work depending on what commands others ask you to perform. The available commands are pretty limited though. I'd suggest you start by sharing the output of:
parted -l

So everyone can see your partitions. Since you're posting from a phone it might be easiest just to take a picture of your computer screen.

Boot A Debian 8 (Jessie) Installation Disc In Rescue Mode:
1. Boot the Debian installation disc.
2. Choose "Advanced options", and press "enter".
3. Choose "Rescue mode", and press "enter".
4. Choose your language. It would be advisable to use the same language used in your existing Debian installation.
5. Choose your location.
6. Choose your keyboard keymap. If unsure use "American English".
7. Wait patiently while components are loaded, and networking is configured.
8. Choose a hostname for your PC. Since this doesn't matter in your senario you can leave it as the default "debian". Press "tab", which will move the selection to the "continue" button, and then press "enter" to continue.
9. You'll be prompted to enter your domain name. You can skip this. To do so, press "tab", and then "enter".
10. Wait while it sets up the clock. Then choose your timezone, and press "enter".
11. You will be prompted to choose a root file system to use. Some helpers may request you to use a specific root file system, but for the moment choose "Do not use a root file system" (so you can just use the root filesystem on the installation disc), and press "enter". Then choose "Execute a shell in the installer environment", and press "enter". You will be prompted to confirm, press "enter".

You should now see this:
lFDw50i.png

You are ready to run commands.

When finished using Rescue mode type:

reboot
This will reboot the computer.

What will this do and what do i do after it?

In the first instance I would boot up with the Debian installation disk and see how the partitions look in GParted.

They seem exactly how they did before this incident

ooh, i have a signature

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

What will this do and what do i do after it?

While the Debian project does also offer a Live disc, you stated that you have a Debian installation disc. I noticed that you had been requested to check your partitions in Gparted, but you can't do this on a Debian installation disc, because it's not a live-environment, and doesn't have Gparted installed. The steps I provided take you into the Debian disc's terminal. There aren't many programs installed on the Debian installation disc, but it does include Parted, which serves the same purpose as Gparted, except that it's a commandline application.

There is nothing to do after. The above steps were not a fix, there were just a work-around for checking your partitions, since using Gparted wasn't an option for you.

They seem exactly how they did before this incident

Gparted isn't installed on the Debian Jessie installation disc. What did you use to check your partitions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users