Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gps tracking device

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ladporter

ladporter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:59 PM

hi I am new so I hope this is the right place to post this, if not kindly tell me where I should.  my brothers bike was stolen out of our garage, so sad.  he is buying a new one and I thought i could build and put something in the bike itself, so if it happens again we can track it.  thieves do not understand that it is not the price of the bike but all the time my brother put into the bike to get it just right.

I am trying to build a gps tracking device, should really be pretty simple.  the heart is the gps receiver chip with some other stuff on the circuit board.  sorry for sounding so unprofessional, but that is why I am asking.  I want the device to not have a sim card and no monthly fees, so it will need to talk to the internet and interface with google maps (at least I believe that is the best mapping system to use). If someone can get me started with how to proceed it would be great.  like i said, it should be simple, not to many components.  

if anyone needs more info i will be glad to provide.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 31 January 2016 - 12:14 PM.
moved from System Building and Upgrading to GPS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:59 AM

If it has no SIM & no fees, and therefore no mobile data connection, how do you expect it to connect to the internet?

In any case the tracker does not need a mapping system, all it needs is the GPS to provide position data & some way of getting that data back to you (there's that no SIM no fee communication problem again) so that you can put that information into a mapping system on your computer/tablet/phone/Sat Nav.

GPS trackers are commercially available to attach to pets or children or cars - perhaps you should look at some of these for inspiration.

You will also need to identify somewhere to mount the tracker so that it cannot be found on the bike - but not enclosed in metal so it can get a GPS signal. You will also need a (rechargeable?) battery for power.

Edited by rqt, 31 January 2016 - 04:08 AM.

#3 avajohnson

avajohnson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:56 AM

I know one great gps tracker and I'm currently using it. I could give you infos about it.

#4 z0614

z0614

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

avajohnson I would like to know what tracker you recommend.  thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users