Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New psu not working properly

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Goochi

Goochi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

I was using my computer like normal, and my computer shut off and I heard a popping noise followed by a bad smell. It wouldn't turn on at all after this. I assumed it was the power supply. I then looked up ways to confirm if it was, and I tested it using the method of testing the fan with a paperclip. It seemed like it wasn't getting power. So I went out and bought a corsair cx750m psu.I just finished hooking it up and it's not working. With this one it at least shows a little sign of power, one of my fans comes on for about half of a second when I push the power button. Could it not have been the psu or do I have this hooked up wrong? What else could be wrong? Everything went together properly when I was plugging things in. This is the first time I've replaced my psu so I'm kind of clueless on this.

http://m.imgur.com/UwS0VHz picture of the inside if it helps

I'm on my phone currently, just say if you need more information and thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goochi

Goochi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:04 PM

FC gagabyte GA-B75M-D3H motherboard

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

IME...I've only heard popping one time since I've had a system...when a motherboard blew something.  I'd suspect that as being problematical with a new PSU having been acquired.

Louis

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

I've only had a PSU pop like that once.  I did the exact same thing as you, bought a new PSU and similar results.  I replaced the mobo only to discover the CPU and memory were bad as well.  Apparently when it popped, it basically fried everything, except the HDD.  I ended up buying all new parts and building a whole new PC.

Hopefully that's not the case for you.  It does sound like your motherboard has issues though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users