Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram / Graphics Card Problems

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kelton_b

kelton_b

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:33 AM

//Mod edit: Moved from "Windows XP Home and Professional" forum to the more approriate.//

Well originally i have been running on 2 sticks of 256 MB DDRSRDRAM. Everything was doing okay. Well I bought some games and were able to play some of them but a few ran slugglishly and 2 didnt really run good at all. I had this computer since about december. But one day I went out and I bought some more RAM i got 1 512MB DDR kingston, they guy at the store told me to take my 1 256 out and put the 512 in its place giving me about 768MB. I noticed that when i opened my CCleaner its says all my information and I dont get exactly how much RAM but that didnt bother me. e.x.: 512MB RAM (468MB RAM) Well I did as the guy told me and it was okay but i wanted to see if i could get 1G of RAM so I put the 2 256's together and the 512 in the next slot. Everything was still okay. I was getting about 984 or somethinglike that of RAM according to CCleaner. Well the one game out of the 2 that didnt work became playable and the other one acted worse than before. Well i little while after i got me a new graphics card. The one that came with my computer was an ATI Radeon 200 xpress but i think i found the chip on the motherboard that said ATI Radeon 400 express. The one I just bought is a Visiontek Radeon 9200 series. I installed it in its required bay slot, connected my monitor, installed the software it came with, and restarted. So I put in the game that didnt work at the start but was now playable, and I was able to get a better picture and it ran a whole lot smoother. So then i tried the other game that didnt work and it was almost worse. I even took the graphic settings in the game and turned them down as low as possible and it was just as bad. So i ignored that game and went on the internet. Well now other things are running sluggish too. My google earth e.x: when zooming in is very jumpy and it wasnt before. Itunes (scrolling down is jumpy) and even minimizing windows and other programs i can watch the title bar go down the steps to the bottome of the screen. I took a look at my RAM ports, and there was a little piece of something, but i was able to blow it out, i checked my RAM stick and nothing was wrong there and put everything back in, and in my CCleaner it says that I have 1.0G of RAM when originally it should be in the 900's.
Oh and I really appreciate how you guys answer everybody's questions, it boggles me how your able to find the time and have the patience to help with everyones problems. I wish i could give everyone that works for Bleepingcomputer a 10 minute standing ovation, but I'll probably donate some money. (Im not saying that to have my problem fixed faster, Ive really always thought that and thought about donating) Sorry I gave you guys a novel though. Oh and the game that didnt work before but now works just fine its requirements was 512 MB RAM and the game that works even worse its requirements only needed 256MB RAM that's what gets me too.

Thanks a whole bunch, really do appreciate what you guys do

- - Kelton - -

Edited by KoanYorel, 29 July 2006 - 08:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

Try putting the 512 stick in the first slot.
Do all the ram sticks have exactly the same specs?

Tell us a little about the specs of your computer.

Try running a ram test.
RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

Also - use Everest Home to get the specs for your computer - it may be more accurate than CCleaner.
Everest Home Edition

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

The Lavalys site seems to have discontinued the freeware version and the last freeware version no longer offered “Software reports” so try the download at oldversion.com.

Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers – a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

Or -

AIDA, the predecessor to Everest still has the Software listings:

AIDA 32, The predecessor to Everest can be downloaded here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

You can also get a freeware version of Belarc Advisor, a similar benchmarking tool:

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 08:59 AM.

#3 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:56 AM

Well I tried putting the 512 stick in the first slot, i also tried a bunch of other combinations, and they were all the same. I installed everest home edition, I tried to test the RAM but the programs were too confusing. Heres the specs to my computer

Compaq Presario
AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
Windows XP Home Editon Service Pack 2
512MB DDRSDRAM (originally) 1024MB (now)
160GB HD
ATI Radeon Xpress 200? / ATI IXP 400?? (originally) VisionTek RADEON 9200 series 128MB RAM (now)
1.79GHz

These are the system requirements for the game that is barely even playable

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
Windows 2000/XP (only)
AMD Athlon XP or Pentium III 1.5 GHz
RAM: 256 MB
DirectX 9.0b-compatible graphics card from NVIDIA GeForce 3 and higher (excluding GeForce 4MX) or ATI Radeon 8500 and higher.
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (included on disc)
420 MB Free Hard Drive Space
MS Compatible mouse
Keyboard
Broadband Internet Connection (for multiplayer)
Recommended Requirements:
Windows XP
AMD Athlon 64; or Pentium 4 2.8GHz+;
RAM: 1 GB

thanks again
DirectX 9.0c-compatible graphics card from NVIDIA (GeForce 6600 and above).
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card - Sound Blaster X-Fi series preferred.

#4 kelton_b

kelton_b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

Do you think that the problem is with the video card, or with my monitor. here is the specs to my monitor according to EVEREST Home Edition

Proview 15"

Max. Visible Display Size 28 cm x 21 cm (13.8")
Picture Aspect Ratio 4:3
Horizontal Frequency 30 - 60 kHz
Vertical Frequency 60 - 75 Hz
Gamma 1.80

Heres the specs to my Graphics Card
ATI Radeon 9250 VPU
240 MHz Core
Memory Clock: 400 MHz effective DDR
PCI Bus
128MB Graphics DDR Memory
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM
API Suport: DirectX 8.1 (DX 9 Compatible), OpenGL
Connectors: VGA, DVI-I, TV-Out

Thanks

- - Kelton - -

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:50 AM

The game says that the minimum requirement is an AMD Athlon.

And they recommend:

AMD Athlon 64; or Pentium 4 2.8GHz+;
RAM: 1 GB

You posted that you had a Sempron 3400.

That may be your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users