Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to buy a laptop to replace my sister's broken computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

Hi,

My sister told me today that her 3-year old laptop has finally died. I told her that I would buy a new one for her, but there are a lot of laptops out there and I'm not familiar with most of them.

She uses her laptop mostly for surfing the internet, watching YouTube videos and some low performance tasks. However, with all of the ads and other "stuff" that is often included on web pages these days, even loading a web page takes time if you have a slow machine. Rather than just asking about brand names, I'd like some suggestions on what types of processors, memory size, etc., might be desirable. Also, there are Chromebooks that I believe are designed for surfing the internet, but they seem to have small disk drives and no CD/DVD drives, so I'm not sure how well they would fit the bill when doing other tasks. I'm looking to spend about $300 or so.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:17 PM

If you have a Staples near you check out their weekly sales. If you can afford it I would go for something in the $380 range when on sale. 

Here is one but the sale ends today.

Edit: When she says it died does she mean it will not boot because of a hardware problem or is it a Windows problem?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2016 - 07:40 PM.

#3 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

John,

She said that she just gets a black screen...no attempt to boot up, apparently. She said that this happened once in the past and she just turned it off and then it started up alright, but this time this was not successful. She even took out the battery and then reinstalled it, but again, no luck. Maybe I'll try to get some more detailed information about the exact failure scenario in case I'm missing something.

Thanks for the input.

#4 Warthog-Fan

Warthog-Fan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

Okay, today I got an email from my sister telling me that her daughter stopped over to her house, did some work on the computer, and got it to work again. Not sure exactly what she did, but it looks like all is well....at least for now.

Thanks.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,239 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:38 PM

Glad she got it working again. You may want to tell her install Macrium Reflect Free to create a disk image if she has an external drive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users