Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSOD Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CriticalMass048

CriticalMass048

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

My desktop computer is custom built, about 2 years ago. For about the past 6 months, I've been getting BSODs, seemingly at random. It doesn't matter if I'm playing a game, watching a movie, surfing the web, or the computer is sitting idle. Sometimes it happens after being powered on for hours, sometimes only minutes. Most of the BSODs are "Memory Management Errors", but not always. I've tried using the app "Who Crashed" to help me identify the problem, but usually it really tells me nothing:

System Information (local)

computer name: GREG-PC
windows version: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, 6.1, build: 7601
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: GA-78LMT-USB3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor AMD586, level: 21
6 logical processors, active mask: 63
RAM: 8570593280 total

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sat 1/30/2016 9:53:35 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\013016-20155-01.dmp
uptime: 04:59:33
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41790, 0xFFFFFA80051D6EC0, 0xFFFF, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

My video drivers are up to date, and I really don't know which other ones I should check. Sometimes when I search to see if there is a more recent driver, the system just searches and searches and I have to manually close the window.

I am more than willing to get two more 4GB memory sticks if I have to replace defective ones, but I would like clarification that they are bad. I remember after reading some solutions online, running some sort of test a few months ago which told me the memory was good, but I will be happy to run the tests suggested in the pinned post while I wait.

Also, I don't know if it means anything, but I also have lots of random crashes with Mozilla Firefox as well, which may or may not be related.

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: After I posted this, I downloaded and ran the Memtest86, and let it run for about 2 hours. When I came back, I found 9,400 errors and still counting. I then followed the troubleshooting instructions, and am now running on 1x4GB instead of 2x4GB. I will run Memtest again for each slot to determine if it's the chip or slot.

Attached Files

Edited by CriticalMass048, 30 January 2016 - 11:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hi CriticalMass048 ^_^,

9400 errors in 2 hours? Wao! That's a lot of Memory errors. The dump files also point towards the RAM so keep on checking the RAM sticks and the slots individually.

Let me know in case of any problems ^_^

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 CriticalMass048

CriticalMass048
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

Well, so far so good. I ran the test on the first chip, and started getting a lot of errors, so I swapped it out with the other chip, ran the test for a half hour, and not one error. I will run the test longer tonight.

Now my question is, since it seems the problem is the RAM, how much RAM do I really need? I had 8GB, now I"m down to 4GB. MY MB can take 16GB.

Plus, maybe I discovered another problem... when I was in there, I noticed that the RAM slots are labeled 4231 from left to right. Therefore, I had the sticks in the wrong spot. I was using them in the #1 and #3 slot. Is it possible I damaged the stick this way? I assume at the very least that I wasn't getting full efficiency out of the second stick.

Thanks!

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:12 AM

Well, so far so good. I ran the test on the first chip, and started getting a lot of errors, so I swapped it out with the other chip, ran the test for a half hour, and not one error. I will run the test longer tonight.

Now my question is, since it seems the problem is the RAM, how much RAM do I really need? I had 8GB, now I"m down to 4GB. MY MB can take 16GB.

Plus, maybe I discovered another problem... when I was in there, I noticed that the RAM slots are labeled 4231 from left to right. Therefore, I had the sticks in the wrong spot. I was using them in the #1 and #3 slot. Is it possible I damaged the stick this way? I assume at the very least that I wasn't getting full efficiency out of the second stick.

Thanks!

Hi CriticalMass048 ^_^,

I just checked your motherboard specification and according to that, your motherboard supports upto 32GB of RAM which means it can handle 8GB sticks of RAM in each slot. (Source - http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#sp )

How much RAM you need depends on the usage of your system. If you are an enthusiast gamer, the more the RAM the less it feels :P

DDR3 sticks are cheap these days because DDR4 are gaining the market share. I would suggest you to buy the RAM stick according to your budget. 8GB of RAM should suffice as of now since it allows you to do a lot of multi-tasking. I have 8GB in my laptop and on the desktop as well.

I don't think that the RAM was damaged because you put it in some random slot. As far as the numbering of slots is concerned, the numbering is written so that when you put in the RAM sticks in multiples of 2 (In your case 2 sticks or 4 sticks), it would determine whether the RAM sticks could be run in Dual Channel mode or not. There are several RAM kits available in the market which enable you to take advantage of the Dual Channel mode. Performance is increased while using the RAM sticks in Dual Channel mode.

Dual channel works only with very similar RAM sticks. So, suppose if you purchase a RAM kit, you would place the RAM sticks in either #4 & #2 or either #1 & #3 slots. It is a no brainer if you purchased 4 RAM sticks since that would fit in all of the slots.

I hope this clears your doubt :)

Let me know in case of any further problems ^_^.

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 CriticalMass048

CriticalMass048
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

More good news! When I went back to the site where I bought the components and entered the model number of the RAM, I found out it had a Lifetime Warranty! I went onto Corsair's website, filed a claim ticket, and a new stick of RAM is on its way! Thank you so much!

Now I still wonder if 8GB is enough for the future. Not that I've had any other problems running any software, mind you, but I'm cheap and hate change, so therefore I like to keep my systems for as long as possible. I forced myself to buy this system because my old one was a 7 year old Windows XP model!

When I bought the parts, the 4GB stick was $64.99US. Now, the same stick is $22.99, while the 8GB version is $39.99.

I don't know anything about Dual Channel mode, but will look into it. I guess if I choose to upgrade, my question would be, can I go with a 4-4-8 combination, or should I stick with a 4-4-4-4? I think I had heard that performance will be reduced if you mix and match the sizes of memory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users