Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello, Major Problem Here.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 circledletters

circledletters

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:22 AM

My problem is that windows won't load. It goes to my VAIO screen, to the pentium logo, then it restarts. Afterwards I am taken to a black screen with much writing on it about how my computer didn't shut down properly and am given the option to select 'Safe Mode' 'Last known configuration that worked' and 'Start up windows normally'. And what have you. Safe mode and company end me up at a list of system files, not being able to get past a 'mud' file and restarts. Last known config. and start up windows normally land me at the windows load screen (with the progress bar), but stays there for quite some time just to restart and send me through it over again.

I've put in the recovery CD and have gotten to the recovery console up and chose 'Fixboot'. But all I got was, 'Fix boot cannot find the system drive, or the drive specified i not valid.'

I've been looking far and wide for help while using another computer and haven't found anything that is similar to my problem. errors all abound.

Also, when I use my recovery CD to just try to reinstall windows, it leads me to a screen with this information (after telling me it failed, of course)

*** Stop : 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xf77f8fcb, 0xf73ea7d0, 0x00000000)
*** Setupdd.sys - address f777f8fcb base at f77ce000, DateStamp 3d6dd67f

What cause this - I came home from work and turned on my computer as normal. I heard the sound of the fading in ovation, or whatever, that comes when windows is on the desktop. When I sit down to get on, the monitor was black, and not working. The light was on, but no picture. So I tried to turn it off and on again from the power button, but it was pretty much stuck at on. So, my genius decided to just turn off the power switch to the power cord and turn it back on (computer, monitor, and sound system is hooked up to this switch) and when it came back on the monitor was working, but now the problem I first stated has occured. I have no idea what happened, and I'm pretty sure it was my fault, but would be greatly appreciative to any help on what means I have to go about fixing the problem. I love my computer, even when it doesn't love me, and I want it back.

Edited by circledletters, 29 July 2006 - 08:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:16 AM

What your are experiencing is quite common.

When you get the blue screen, this is what computer users commonly call a blue screen of death, but Microsoft calls a stop message. In your case you are receiving the stop message 0x0000008E, or 0x8E for short. This usually refers to bad RAM memory.

You don't say what sort of computer you own, but if it has two pieces of RAM, then remove one and see if that helps. If it doesn't, swap RAM pieces and try again.

If you only have one piece of RAM then you need to purchase a new one, or borrow one for testing purposes.

It is possible that this bad RAM has corrupted your Window files, and you may find it neccesary to do a 'repair install' of Windows. Please let us know if you need help with this step.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:39 AM

Since this is usually a memory error - I'd suggest running a memory tester from a floppy drive (if you don't have one - there are options for those that boot from CD).

Here's a link for some free memory test software: http://www.memtest86.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users