Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to upgrade old Dell desktop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 crojj42

crojj42

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Hi.  I have a Dell Pentium 4 from 2006.  It is very slow for my needs and I would like to upgrade it.  I am not interested in purchasing a new system as I have no need for another desktop.  I am not sure where to start.  I know I have a 32-bit system, but not even sure what that means.  Do I need to expand my hard drive, the RAM?  How do I even do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Hi,

Please post the exact model of the Dell you have and also execute the following steps that will provide information about your system and that gives everyone a better chance of assisting you.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

• In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  • In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  • Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box

Please post the resulting URL.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 392 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

The only sensible way to "upgrade" a Pentium 4 machine is by replacement, even if you're only getting a used machine 2 or 3 generations newer. You need to be looking at late Core 2 machines as a minimum. Used or "refurbished" Dell Optiplex machines are widely available at reasonable prices. 

#4 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Hi, it's not a cost issue.  Odd as it may sound, there is a lot of sentimental value to this particular desktop, so that is why I want to upgrade it rather than change up.

It is a Dell Dimension E310

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/2R2dfhfDuUtA4jarFiWnfVN

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:52 PM

Have you considered the installation of a linux distro like lubuntu? That could breath new like into a system.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

You mean just changing to Linux OS?

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

You have Windows XP that is an outdated and a no longer supported Operating System, to be safe specially to access the Internet you need to replace the OS. Linux is free if you want to continue using Windows you need to buy a license.

The machine is very slow because it have a very low amount of memory 512MB, the max RAM supported is 2GB in 2x 1GB PC2-4300

Even if you choose to install Linux it will work much better if you do the RAM upgrade.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#8 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:22 PM

You have Windows XP that is an outdated and a no longer supported Operating System, to be safe specially to access the Internet you need to replace the OS. Linux is free if you want to continue using Windows you need to buy a license.

The machine is very slow because it have a very low amount of memory 512MB, the max RAM supported is 2GB in 2x 1GB PC2-4300

Even if you choose to install Linux it will work much better if you do the RAM upgrade.

What about for my machine, which the specs say PC2-3200?  What would be the maximum supported RAM?

#9 raymac46

raymac46

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:55 PM

Maximum RAM would be 2 GB which means you need 2X1GB sticks as you have only two slots.

The machine is very unfriendly for upgrading. You can put in additional RAM and a new hard drive I suppose. The processor will run a 64 bit version of Linux. It isn't possible to upgrade the video.

Something like Linux Mint Xfce would run OK on this machine, I doubt the video will support an upgrade to Windows 8 or 10. Even Windows 7 will be a stretch.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:34 AM

Hi,

What about for my machine, which the specs say PC2-3200?  What would be the maximum supported RAM?

According to the machine manual the motherboard supports RAM of two different speeds:

DDR2 400-MHz (PC2-3200) and DDR2 533-MHz (PC2-4300)

if you decide to upgrade to the MAX 2GB then you need to remove the old memory and install 2 new dimms with the higher speed supported, in your case DDR2 533-MHz (PC2-4300).

___
Rui

#11 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,280 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 12:13 AM

Yeah for such a old machine linux will be your best bet, it can bring your computer to a new existence and still be able to browse the web.

Dont expect miracles though, 32bit is becomming less and less supported. 

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users