Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows installer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crojj42

crojj42

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:56 PM

Hi, I have had a few malware problems over the last couple of years, and maybe as a result of trying to clear that up I have had a problem with the Windows installer.  It does not seem to exist anymore.  Whenever I try to install a program that requires it (such as itunes), I get the popup that says "preparing to install" followed by another that says "the windows installer service could not be accessed.  this can occur if the windows installer is not correctly installed."  I have tried downloading things from the microsoft website but nothing has worked.  What can I do?  Should I format and reinstall windows xp?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

Try the steps here first. If nothing works then download the Windows Installer. Also take a look at some solutions in the Comments section.

Download v3.1 here. Hopefully it will install.

#3 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

I tried everything suggested, including downloading the installer but I am still getting the same error.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,975 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:37 PM

If you have a XP install disk with the same SP then open an admin command prompt and type

sfc /scannow

#5 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

I tried everything suggested, including downloading the installer but I am still getting the same error.

That was mainly for the Windows Vista operating system.

The registry fix for Windows XP can be found here.

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file (in Notepad), right-click the file (before opening it) and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

Or, you can try the free Windows Repair from Tweaking.com. It has the option to repair the Windows Installer service (MSI). Use the portable version and you won't need to install anything.

Edited by Phantom010, 30 January 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#6 crojj42

crojj42
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

The tweaking windows repair did it for me.  Thank you!

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

You're welcome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users