Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Saltlife

Saltlife

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:20 PM

My cd drive is not shown under my computer or device manager. I checked for upper and lower filters there are none. cd drive light comes on, spins on startup,could it just be a bad dtive or some bad or missing file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 01 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

What sort of computer is this - desktop or laptop ?  Could you give us the basic details of make and model ?  This information is a great help when it comes to advising on how to fix problems.

You are right - it could be corrupted drivers or a faulty drive. To take the drivers first I suggest you run 'sfc /scannow' to check for corrupted files. To do this -

Click 'Start - All programs - Accessories'. You will there see an entry 'Command prompt'. RIGHT click on this and select 'Run as administrator' from the drop down menu, this will open a window with white text on a black background which at the end of the text has a blinking underscore. Now type 'sfc /scannow' (without the ' ') and press the enter key. Sfc will start running, just let it run until it is finished. This can take quite a while but be patient. When it has finished it will say if it found any corrupted files and if it repaired them. Then try your CD drive again.

If this problem started recently you could try doing a system restore if you have a restore point dating from before this problem started, but try Sfc first.

It could be a faulty drive in which case the only cure is to replace it. Even for laptops they are not very expensive items but for detailed instructions on how to replace them you have to know what sort of computer you are dealing with !

Try Sfc first and post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Saltlife

Saltlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for your reply Cris The computer is a hp pavilion dv6700. I did the scan you suggested, it said it found some corrupt files but could not fix all of them. Might just look for another drive online and try that.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:27 AM

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/fixit4me/2009/03/18/cd-drive-or-dvd-drive-is-missing-in-windows-xp-or-vista/

#5 Saltlife

Saltlife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thanks Agouti. Just ran the fixit from microsoft, said it could not find the drive. Think it is time for new drive?

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

I would think so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users