Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Various Boot Errors

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Helterveda

Helterveda

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

Hi all,

First, thanks for reading this post, it's deeply appreciated. And id also like to apologize if I haven't been clear or articulate enough here. This may belong in the Hardware forum as the HDD may have failed.

A few years back, I purchased a used laptop from someone in my local area. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, with 512mgb RAM, running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

The man who owned the computer has a great deal of equipment. I purchased it because he was trying to get rid of some excess PCs he had, and I could not beat the price($30).

Anyway, the laptop always worked fine. I used it almost solely as a backup and for browsing. I hadn't booted it up in about 8 months, but two days ago I did. I was greeted with the Windows Error Recovery screen, asking to Start Windoes Normally or boot into Safe Mode(with or without Command Prompt) or to insert a Repair Disc.

Whenever I tried to start Windows normally or with safe mode, it would try to boot over a few minutes, but then take me back to the same Error Recovery screen. I booted from a Win 7 Ultimate USB and restored to a System Restore Point. Things worked fine from here. I set about uninstalling some older programs and running malware bytes, and then made a new restore point. The computer shut down and restarted fine. After installing Avast and running a full system scan, I went to uninstall the program iTunes, and the computer started to hang on uninstallstion process. It stayed this way for about 2 hours. Regrettably, I gave it a hard reset by holding down the power key. Booted back up and was greeted by the same Windows Error Recovery screen as before.

I tried to boot into Safe Mode and Start Windows Normally, but it kept failing to load and took me back to the same screen as before. Booted with USB Win 7 drive again, and tried to restore. Chose my newest Restore Point, and the computer began to hang in the System Restore process. Lasted all night. In the morning, it was still "restoring" I gave it another hard reset. I booted up normally, to see if anything had changed with the Erorr Recovery Screen. Still the same.

From here I proceeded to shut down. Afterward, I unplugged power cable, removed the battery(including CMOS or recovery battery),reseat the RAM, and hold down the power button to reset. Booted normally, same problem. Booted from USB, and found that it was no longer detecting a Windows 7 installation(or any at all). I tried Stat Up Repair and the other options but nothing took effect. Went to Command Prompt and typed "C:" but it couldn't find the drive. Couldn't initiate sfcan either.

Finally shut down from the Recovery USB and restarted. CHKDSK ran, but an unspecified error occurred (766f6c756d652e63 3f1). Again, shut down. Booted into BIOs and it still detects the HDD.

I know there are many, many threads over many years with this problem. I also realize I am probably partly if not fully responsible for possibly tanking this laptops HDD - however, I'm curious if would be a good idea to try reformatting and reinstalling Windows 7 at this point? Is there anything more I should try from here?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 January 2016 - 04:16 PM.
moved from BSOD to Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

I would go ahead and try to reinstall Windows 7 after formatting the HDD with KillDisk - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/449-format-hdd-low-level-format-killdisk.html

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

I didn't think it was possible to run Windows 7 on 512MB of memory. Putting in another GB or RAM would improve your experience with the computer. How big is the hard drive on this computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2016 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users