Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dfrgfat.exe - Application Errors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pipsy

pipsy

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:47 AM

Cannot analyze or defrag my C: drive; D: (backup) seems to freeze during "Compacting files".

Usually spend less than 1/2 hour on the computer, but if I stay on an hour or so, this pops up:

DfrgFat: DfrgFat.exe - Application Error

The instruction at ["0x7c911f6c", "0x7c9111de", and others I haven't written down] referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

I don't know why this application is trying to run without me requesting it. When I do order a defrag, I get:

Disk Defragmenter - Out of memory
Please close some applications and try again. Disk defragmenter could not start.

This happened even after I went to "msconfig" and removed checkmarks beside everything except Load System Services and Use Original boot.ini as instructed at Geekgirls.com.

I have had this problem ever since I got cable TV broadband service in May. It didn't work correctly, and the ISP said they were having issues with a security update from MS, which they thought would be patched "in 3 or 4 days". When I finally could access my ISP's home page and configure e-mail, IE got corrupted somehow. Googling got me to MS Developer Network, where a long string of frustration/another patch/frustration was beyond my knowledge. Devs were complaining they could not fix the IE corruption by Remote even with the additional patches MS was sending them exclusively.

After hours on the phone with my ISP, and Googling, my only option was to reload from the OEM disk and get updates to get me back close to where I was when the IE problem started. However, my computer has been unable to detect a disk in either my CD-ROM or -RW drive ever since, either when trying to load a game, or copy files to CD. I tried saving a FrontPage2003 website to disk by saving to floppies, then from there to disk: got the graphics but no text on the CD.

Occasionally during a session in an Office 2003 app, I have to allocate additional memory to the app, but can't remember the exact screen that pops up to ask for it. My 40 G hard drive is 77% empty!

Though I have seen lots of techie material in my Googling, I have little understanding of all this. If you need more info, please tell me how to access it on the computer, treating me like the ignoramus I am...

Thank ya'll so much for being here! Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, as I don't think it wise to put any $ into this 2001 no-name computer.

Edited by pipsy, 29 July 2006 - 08:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:49 AM

Defrag needs between 15% and 20% free space on the drives/partitions you are attempting to defragment. Do you have that much free space available on each drive?

When was the last time you ran error checking on these disks/partitions?

What pops up?

#3 pipsy

pipsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:23 AM

C: has capacity 27.75 GB/21.39 free 77%
D: 9.53/3.51 free 36%

How do I error check?

#4 pipsy

pipsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:36 AM

I found chkdsk via the command prompt and ran it 3 times...the window closes immediately upon "100% completed", so I can't read what pops up below that in the window.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:45 AM

Try testing your ram with one of the following:
RAM tests

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest86.com/

To run error checking:

Open My Computer, and then select the local disk you want to check.
On the File menu, click Properties.
On the Tools tab, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
Under Check disk options, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box.
Notes

To open My Computer, double-click the My Computer icon on the desktop.
All files must be closed for this process to run. If the volume is currently in use, a message box will appear prompting you to indicate whether or not you want to reschedule the disk checking for the next time you restart your system. Then, the next time you restart your system, disk checking will run. Your volume will not be available to perform other tasks while this process is running.
If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.

Look for the information files on the disk after it runs if you don't get a report onscreen.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 08:48 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:33 AM

The defrgfat is probably trying to run as a scheduled task. Go to Start...Control Panel...Scheduled Tasks (in the classic view) and see if there's a task like that that's been scheduled.

In addition to the stuff that Enthusiast has suggested - you may want to install SpeedFan (it's free) and see what it has to say about your temperatures and the S.M.A.R.T. status of your hard drive. It's available here: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

The next step is to backup all of your data to CD or DVD. After that it becomes a matter of how much time you want to spend troubleshooting this problem.

Here's what I suspect - there's some corruption in your Windows installation - and it could be with your motherboard chipset drivers or with the Windows installation itself.

So, I'd go with the following steps:
1) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog.
2) Run a repair installtion of XP according to these instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
3) Perform a format of your hard drive and a clean install of XP (a lot of this depends on the make and model of your computer)
4) Update all hardware device drivers.

Barring an obscure hardware problem, this should fix what ails ya' - but it's a very long process (the format and reinstall is the worst timewise).

Let us know what you'd like to do (and the results of the MemTest and SpeedFan testing)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 pipsy

pipsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:51 AM

Wow! Thanks guys!

It will take me 3 or 4 days to try all this, probably... I'll get back to you.

#8 pipsy

pipsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

OK, I ran the error check. It found "\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_5b8.dat first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated." The Window closed too fast after verifying free space for me to write down all those numbers. Where on the disk do I find the NTFS info files Enthusiast referred to?

I also ran the extended memory tests from oca.microsoft.com. No problems were found.

There were no tasks scheduled - the only folder there was the Wizard for scheduling a task.

Wonder if this is relevant?
MS-DOS screen that comes up when first restarting still says "Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM". I had to change the "boot from" as part of reinstalling from the OEM disk, and I forget how I got to it. Google can't find "boot from". Should I change it? How? To what?

I have already updated all possible drivers on this machine through the MS service. Device Manager tells me both CD drives are working right, but they're not. Troubleshooter is no help at all, huh?

I've installed Speedfan, and will run that and let you know the result.

Thanks again, John and Enthusiast!

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

Is your C drive formatted in NTFS?
What you are looking for is the error check log.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 09:17 PM

To change the boot order, you have to go into the BIOS. Usually, it's the Delete key, though it could be another key or combination of keys, usually referenced on the bottom of the screen during startup. Usually, it's "enter setup" or something like that.

Once in there, you have to find the boot order - and that's different in every BIOS. Usually, it's floppy first, then hard drive, then CD-Rom. On newer computers, many don't have a floppy, so you'd simply use the hard drive a the default first drive. Make sure to save changes on your way out.

#11 pipsy

pipsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:40 AM

Hmmmm...well, a desktop icon appeared from somewhere titled "initdebug", which shows very detailed system info. Is that the error log? I'll post it if you want to see it...or e-mail if you prefer.

I've searched C: for "NTSF" and "error check log" with no luck. Can you tell me how to find it if "initdebug" isn't it?

I ran Speedfan - whew! Way above my head, but got this report about my hard drive:

"Your hard disk is a SAMSUNG SV0412H with firmware SK100-12.
The average temperature for this hard disk is 30C (MIN=17C MAX=39C) and yours is 222C

Attribute Current Raw Overall
Raw Read Error Rate 100 243 Very good
Start/Stop Count 98 2476 Very good
Reallocated Sector Count 253 0 Very good
Seek Error Rate 253 0 Very good
Seek Time Performance 253 0 Very good
Power On Hours Count 100 252330 Very good
Power Cycle Count 99 1260 Very good
Current Pending Sector 253 0 Very good
Offline Uncorrectable Sector Count 253 0 Very good
Ultra DMA CRC Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Write Error Rate 100 0 Very good
Soft Read Error Rate 100 0 Very good

All of the attributes of your hard disk have normal values. This is good.

The overall fitness for this drive is 100%.
The overall performance for this drive is 100%."

Re: boot order...if there's no disk in the CD drive, then it will automatically boot from the hard drive, right? Then I'll leave it alone.

Can't tell you guys how much I appreciate this.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 10:41 AM

Well, that report looks good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users