Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

what can power outages do to a computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alpha3100

alpha3100

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 11:07 AM

where i am at we had a power outage and both my desktop and laptop were on well i was just shutting down my desktop when we got the power back my laptop and desktop powered up and it seemed nothing was wrong, but can power outages create audio problems on computers like make audio uneven like for example audio working on both sides but the the right side louder than the left or vice versa?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:05 PM

There are innumerable things that can happen to any one of those chips during a power outage.  Abrupt removal of power can create over-voltage spikes.  Most often it's not the dropping of power that causes faults, but the initial cause that created the drop.  Power surges from many causes will do the most damage, overheating in short periods (less than a second) or breakdowns in insulation.  Natural causes can be lightning and higher voltage lines tangling with lower voltage gear.   These events can enter the home through any wire/cable originating outside the home.  Protection is important and surge protectors and UPS units can add extra layers above those included within the current gear.

#3 alpha3100

alpha3100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:20 PM

i mean i know power outage can cause damage but can it cause the damage i am describing like left side of audio to be louder than the right or vise versa?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

Are you currently experiencing this left/right audio problem?

For Windows 7 you can change volumes on the left and right channels.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-adjust-audio-balance-in-windows-7

#5 alpha3100

alpha3100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

yes i have done that before but its a real pain to put back

i really hope this isnt power outage related and that its just that my earbuds are broken i dont use speakers i use earbuds

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:06 PM

Audio equipment responds a bit differently to electrical surges than most other devices.

We have been haveing a number of power outages with sudden restoration of power because of ongoing line work in our neighborhood.

I have 1 tv that has a 2 " white border around the screen and 2 surge protected powerstrips that no longer have surge protection.

Ohh and very important 3 dead coffee pots. lol  None of which will likely be replaced.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:42 PM

DB950 sounds like a severe case.  I have had a traffic accident nearby that knocked over a power pole.  It also dropped 12 KV lines unto a 3 KV line.  I lost one transformer, a UPS (small one, 1 KVA and a ground arrestor.  This could have been worse without the protection.  When intermittent problems on a line causes variations in input voltages, internal parts (power supplies, circuit boards, anything that has AC voltage applied to it, has to have its own built in protection or it doesn't get the Underwriters Labs seal.  This however a one shot deal, once an has occurred and the circuit provide the needed protection, it is toast.  It is sacrificial.  If the device continues to work, that's good, but now it has no more protection.  These surges can also cause any device to be  "struck" and a gate may get stuck in one state.  This could cause any fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users