Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will not turn on/No power at all.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trishaxann

Trishaxann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:45 PM

Okay, so I have a toshiba satellite c875d. Only had it like 2 years. I was watching a movie and it all of a sudden just shut off. Like lost all power. Hit the power button and it started back up fine. A few hours later it did the same thing. Just shut off suddenly in the middle of a movie. This time though it will not turn back on. Nothing happens when I press the power button. There are no lights on at all even with the charger plugged in. I tried a brand new charger, still nothing. Tried the whole hold down the power button mumbo jumbo, still nothing. Took battery out. Still no lights, so I'm starting to think the power jack is bad maybe. Or could it be a bigger issue? I've tried taking out harddrive/memory, but no lights are coming on at all. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

Have you tried powercycling it? Remove the battery and unplug the charger for 10 seconds, then put the charger on and hold the power button.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Trishaxann

Trishaxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:13 PM

Yep!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

This sounds like a major hardware failure, possibly the motherboard. To pull data from the hard drive you will need to remove it and put it in a USB enclosure or use a USB adapter. 

Edit: When you look at the powerjack of the computer is it loose or does it look pushed in?

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#5 Jim00

Jim00

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

This has happened to me to my desktop and I'm taking it to the computer repair shop because of no solutions. However, before you do this, you should check the inside of your laptop and see if any dust has overheated it. Also, check out your charger and power outlet. Check if the power supply is receiving the power. Otherwise, your CPU ex. intel core i5 might be defected. Your motherboard may also be the problem, the motherboard may be dead or defected or might have overheated from too much dust. Have you dropped any substances onto the keyboard, it might have seeped through. Also, try discharging the power by unplugging the charger from the computer, then hold the power button for 20 seconds or so and then plug back in the charger and try turning the computer on. 

#6 Trishaxann

Trishaxann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

I'm somewhat handy with computers, so I opened it up, everything looked fine. No dust buildup or anything and the jack looked fine. The charger works on other computers so
I know it's not the charger. I've tried taking the battery out and holding the power button and all of that stuff. I'm starting to think its a motherboard issue as well. :-/ I'm gonna order a new charger jack and replace it first and see if that works just because it's a cheap fix so I want to rule that out first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users