Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop for Animation Programs, Adobe and Gaming?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FoolsCourage

FoolsCourage

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hi, I'm trying to decide on a good laptop that can run a good group of big programs like Photoshop, Flash CC, 3D modeling, other animation programs and as well as a few games. 

For this, i would need a memory of 16GB, right? And ideal capacity 1TB. 

However, I'm not sure what a good color/screen quality would be to look for.

More importantly, I don't know whether or not a Windows or Mac would be better. Macs are safer virus-wise, and I'm used to the clean layout, but it can't play the games i'd like it to because they no longer support X11. Then, Windows can run all the games I'd like just fine as well as the programs, however it's more prone to viruses, and the area of business i'm leaning towards prefer Macs, in many cases. 

My questions are, firstly, are there alternatives for these problems? And, what ideal storage memory/capacity and computer types should i look for? Specific models are appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Macs are safer virus wise

Nope. Not really anymore. I would not consider that a determining factor. Are you certain you have to have a laptop? Laptops are significantly weaker than a similarly priced desktop. 16GB RAM sounds like the right idea.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

#3 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

As ScathEnfys pointed out the whole "Macs are safer" point of view really doesn't hold much truth nowadays. So I wouldn't consider that as one of the pro-con points.

I have never owned a MAC myself, and probably never will, so I might be a bit biased on that fact.

As far as laptop vs. desktop discussion, you can buy some pretty powerful Laptops now so I don't even know that the "significantly weaker" really applies. Though yes you probably will pay a bit more for it, but it all depends on if you want portability or not. So that is up to you.

if you are wanting to be able to play some games, then go for the Windows based PC. Be aware, if you want something with a decent graphics card, the laptop will be a bit chunky. Don't go for those slim line "gaming" machines. They will have heat issues and cut life of the laptop pretty quickly.

For a decent laptop you are going to spend $1,000 or more for a good machine. I recently just spent about 1500 on a gaming laptop with an i7 and a GTX 970M (16GB of RAM as well).

If you go the Windows route, just stay away from sketchy sites, and don't click on anything that looks suspicious. Scan regularly and install an AV, and you'll be fine.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 08 February 2016 - 02:23 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#4 ScathEnfys

ScathEnfys

Bleeping Butterfly

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

here is a good post explaining how malware works. If you follow the practices outlined there, you shouldn't have much of an issue with viruses. I agree with the observation that a true powerful laptop will be fairly chunky.
Proud system builder, modder, and watercooler.

GitHub | SoundCloud | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users