Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 333OnlyHalfEvil

333OnlyHalfEvil

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

I had a server go out. I think it was the motherboard because when I turn it on the thing still lights up and the fan spins but the monitor never gets a signal. never sees the motherboard bios screen or windows server. So, I took the harddrives out which were RAID (whatever the number the mirror image one is) and put them in my windows 7 machine and they show up as unallocated space. How can I get my windows 7 machine to view the files on a hard drive that was in raid on another computer?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 29 January 2016 - 06:52 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to 'Backup, imaging and disc management'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Smsec

Smsec

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:02 PM

I don't think you can. In order to read data on those drives,  you'll need to have a computer with an identical RAID controller.

A few times, I've been able to get a computer that wouldn't even to show bios to boot by unplugging every connector on the board and then plugging them back in. Doesn't always work but its cheap and easy to try. 

#3 333OnlyHalfEvil

333OnlyHalfEvil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 08 March 2016 - 10:51 PM

So, I ended up trying the unplug the wires thing and it worked lol. I got all my files copied off of it and you totally saved the day. :thumbup2: It was working for a little bit but then started doing the same thing again after i turned it off then turned it back on again later. I tried it a second time and it doesn't seem to want to work now. Do you think it's faulty wiring? If so, which wires could it be? Also, I'm still curious about the RAID0. I read on another forumwhen I was trying to figure it out that for software raid you could go into command prompt and copy everything to a new folder only skipping the first 8 (or whatever number it actually is) or so blocks (which is the software component telling the raid how to mirror your files). Has anyone tried this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users