Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I install Win 7 on a new Win 10 PC? (never had 7 or 8)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ejoan

ejoan

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:55 PM

I have seen numerous posts on reversing the upgrade or downgrading on a PC that had Windows 7 or 8 at one time. My question is about a PC that never had those, a new PC with only 10 on it. What sort of problems will there be if I try to install 7? (This would be from new, licensed software.) I assume there will be some drivers I need to obtain. I read something about technical reasons that would make the new installation unworkable, but there wasn't enough info to take that as the final word.

I know there are alternatives to make Windows 10 appear more like 7, but, please just humor me here and help me understand if I'll be able to do it if I want to.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:06 PM

It looks like you're good to go!  I recommend having at least two full-images of your OS partition and data partition on two usb external HDs before beginning the changeover.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#3 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

Thanks. Sounds like the warnings I saw elsewhere were overstated.

Edited by ejoan, 29 January 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:31 PM

Well, in all fairness, not everyone has a Walt Disney happy ending with their change-overs.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2016 - 04:49 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:40 PM

OK Roland, clue me in on what I'm missing here. How were you able to determine that ejoan was 'good to go' for a downgrade on a computer that never had Win 7 or 8 previously installed, without ejoan posting their specific computer info?

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2016 - 04:50 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

I'd like to know the specific system...not every system may provide Win 7 or earlier Windows version drivers.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2016 - 07:21 PM.

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:53 PM

"...This would be from new, licensed software.) I assume there will be some drivers I need to obtain..."  -- thread opener snippit

Saw, you asked a great question!  I simply believe since the OP has the licensed software at the ready, and OP knows some drivers will be needed, and believing OP will make OS partition & data partition backups before proceeding --

barring any known present hard-ware/desired OS unresolvable conflicts, thread starter should be good to go.

However, Saw, you bring up an excellent point I totally forgot, thanks!!  So, I amend my good to go to:

Thread-starter, give the hardware and software details of your computer via MiniToolbox and Speccy, and let the BC folks give you a Go or NoGo.

[I see Louis and I posted at the same time, thread-starter, go with Louis' advice, he's one of the best!]

Edited by RolandJS, 29 January 2016 - 04:55 PM.

#8 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:03 PM

I have not yet purchased the computer. I'm asking for someone who is insisting on buying a computer with Win 7. With so few available, it might be more cost-effective to buy it with Win 10 and change the OS.

I'm not well-versed in all of this, but I have installed OS before. Here's a quote from something I read that got me wondering:

...A lot of computers that come preloaded with Windows 10 do not have native driver support for Windows 7 by the manufacturer. If there are no native drivers, you will have to consider returning the machine and purchasing a machine preloaded with Windows 10 Pro with downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional...

Thanks, everyone

#9 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

ejoan, I've a friend in the same situation. He's looking for a new laptop but doesn't want Win 10. All I could tell him was to provide me with the computer info first & I would check to see if there was support for Win 7 or 8 on the manufacturer's support website.

Roland, Thanks for the speedy reply.

Hamluis, Thanks for the Edit!

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#10 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

... check to see if there was support for Win 7 or 8 on the manufacturer's support website....

Do you mean in general, or for a particular model? I was looking at the Dell site and they seem to support Windows 7, but it's not clear to me if what they offer is the sort of suport you mean. Except for being a bit low on RAM, the mid-range Inspiron laptops seemed worth considering.

#11 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

ejoan, AS hamluis stated, we & others would want the specifics. Make & exact Model number at the very least. If a Dell brand, the Service Tag number would also be needed. Then you or others here could look up what OS & driver support there is from the manufacturer's website. Any additional info provided could also prove helpful. I'd err on the side of providing more info.

#12 ejoan

ejoan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:11 AM

I understand the importance of providing specifics when asking about a particular computer. When shopping for a new one, that's not so simple. I was hoping to learn ways to determine these things myself before buying a computer. Otherwise, I'd be posting a list, but without service tag numbers for the Dell models.

I do have one model example now - Dell Inspiron 3451. The support page for that model gives me a list of drivers for Win 7 -- does this mean I can use these even if it came with 10?  That same page says the device can be upgraded to 10, but it actually comes with it now.  The references to "downgrade rights" that I've seen elsewhere have been the main reason for my concern.

I appreciate all the replies.

#13 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:42 AM

I don't understand what your objection to Windows 10 is.  However I just looked at two places (Amazon & Micro Center) and they both still have PCs with Windows 7 for sale.  I guess you're aware that Windows 7 support ends in 2020, so at that point you'd need to either upgrade, buy a new PC, or live with an unsupported OS.  

As I understand it, new PCs with Windows 10 come with UEFI instead of BIOS (mine did for sure).  This introduces a new set of variables you'll have to deal with because OEMs can customize things in ways you wouldn't expect, causing problems when you change operating systems.  There's also the matter of warranty.  If you change the OS, you could void it, so you'd want to check that carefully.

FWIW I just bought a new Dell laptop with Windows 10, and am very happy with it.  My 3 year old main desktop has Windows 7 Pro on it, and I plan to keep it, but when buying a new PC, I buy something with the OS I want and keep it that way.  Yes, there's what I call "snoopware" on 10, but you can turn all that off if you want.  There's also a new user interface in 10, but it's nothing like Windows 8.1, it's more like 7.  It takes a little getting used to, but I didn't have much trouble (and I'm no spring chicken!).  YMMV.

Good luck.

Edited by Niweg, 30 January 2016 - 10:44 AM.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#14 alatta01

alatta01

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:32 PM

ejoan, I've a friend in the same situation. He's looking for a new laptop but doesn't want Win 10. All I could tell him was to provide me with the computer info first & I would check to see if there was support for Win 7 or 8 on the manufacturer's support website.

Roland, Thanks for the speedy reply.

Hamluis, Thanks for the Edit!

So far, only 6th Gen. Core CPUs, won't run 7 or 8. Pretty much everything else will downgrade, but you will need the activation code. MS is supposed to provide one, but it requires calling MS support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users