Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing Bookmarks in Chrome

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 PurrrdyGurl

PurrrdyGurl

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

I hope that someone can help me make sense of this mess :)  I am running Win 7 on my laptop and using Chrome Version 48.0.2564.97 m.  I have been working on cleaning things out because I am finally running out of space.  I am embarrassed to admit that even though I have used Chrome for quite a few years now, I had never accessed my bookmarks via the bookmark bar.  I always just went in via the setting at the top right to the BM Mgr.  A few days ago, I noticed the folders setting up there and decided that those too could be deleted....I had NO idea it was going to delete ALL of my BM's :(    I immediately realised my mistake and searched for a way to get them back.  I went into my App settings and found the Bookmark and Bookmark.bak files.  The instructions were to delete the BM file and then change the name of the .bak file to simply bookmarks.  For whatever reason, I did copy the bookmarks.bak info into Notepad and saved as a txt. I did as instructed, checked my bookmarks and there were a handful in there, but nowhere near as many as I knew I had.  

After more searching, I decided to open the txt doc and save it as HTML in the hopes that Chrome could then import them using their own *wizard*.  Chrome took less than 20 seconds and told me that it was a Success, twice!  NOT! LOL  The same few BM's are still there (I just checked and there are 10 as well as an additional folder named "Mobile bookmarks" that I did not initiate and it is empty.  Is there some other way to convert the txt file to html other than simply *save as*?  I can't figure out why Chrome can't import ALL of them, as viewing the txt and html file shows a ton of them.  Any thoughts??  Thanks in advance for your help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users