Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no wireless networking, avast disappeared, computer very slow

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 salsa

salsa

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

Hi All! I have XP (yes, really) and actually it's been pretty reliable. But last night I had no wireless network and avast disappeared. Ran system restore and got the networking back. Ran in safe mode and uninstalled avast, then re installed it. Scan reported not able to scan files but no viruses.I emptied recycle bin and am running another avast scan.

Weird things happened. When I used 'run' command, picture/and fax viewer came up and control panel is missing icons. computer running very slow.

can anyone advise? <am also looking also for another computer>  

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 03:02 PM

I would uninstall avast again. avast has been know to slow some computers, especially if the NG VM module is includes. I am not sure if NG is included on XP installs though. 

Run TFC cleaner. Then defrag the disk. Do with with avast uninstalled.

I would run Hitman Pro3. You will need an internet connection.

If you want to run avast do a custom install and only install the File and Web shield. Nothing else.

I would also run Seatools for Windows. Do the short and long generic test 

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2016 - 03:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users