Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on Upgrading UEFI on my ASRock Z170 EXTREME7+ LGA1151 motherboard?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hi all!

I have MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, running on my newly custom built workstation computer from www.ps.no and am about to upgrade my UEFI on my ASRock Z170 EXTREME7+ LGA1151 motherboard, however since ASRock assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS (quoted from their home page), I want to make sure that I am doing this 'right', therefore I have some questions in this context;

Due to various outdated and incompatible drivers and utilities (that is only Win 8.1 ready), I have unfortunately had to reinstall my OS several times :(, and as such I decided to switch from the primary BIOS to the secondary BIOS for safety reasons, assuming that it somehow got corrupt (I could be wrong) :unsure:.

This motherboard has two BIOS chips, a primary BIOS (BIOS_A) and a backup BIOS (BIOS_B ), which enhances the safety and stability of your system. Normally, the system will work on the primary BIOS. However, if the primary BIOS is corrupted or damaged, just flip the BIOS Selection Switch to “B”, then the backup BIOS will take over on the next system boot. After that, use “Secure Backup UEFI” in the UEFI Setup Utility to duplicate a working copy of the BIOS files to the primary BIOS to ensure normal system operation. For safety issues, users are not able to update the backup BIOS manually. Users may refer to the BIOS LEDs (BIOS_A_LED or BIOS_B_LED) to identify which BIOS is currently activated.

Considering what is highlighted in red, would it be wise to do what is highlighted in blue before flash updating the UEFI from a USB Flash Drive?

I have UEFI version 1.40, but version 2.50 is available for download, and I have already downloaded it to my USB Flash Drive. I am awaiting your recommendations... :busy:

Piriform Speccy results here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/joTrWnDZ5cWJIUFCFHwslm5

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

Does asrock give an md5 sha checksum for the uefi download? That would make sure your download wasn't corrupted.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:29 AM

Hi, Captain_Chicken!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

As it happens, they do not provide such information, however I did scan the download with VirusTotal's VTzilla browser add-on; see here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/url/439b383d68833688e1424d60fa7970c51fba43bc20e34b8f1f4b1e8bb360a7da/analysis/1454165126/

I would like to apologize for not explaining this earlier, but AFAIK unlike other motherboards, my motherboard has 2 x 128Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with multilingual GUI support (1 x Main BIOS and 1 x Backup BIOS).

Now I have tried switching back to the primary BIOS only to discover that it was corrupted indeed as the computer refused to let me enter it with Del / F2, so I had to temporarily switch back to the secondary BIOS again to duplicate the working copy of the BIOS files to the primary BIOS, switch back once more to the primary BIOS, flash update the primary BIOS, which went smoothly and properly, and now the computer is running UEFI version 2.50. :thumbsup:

What a relief! And yeah, this was of course a learning experience, however I guess I cannot call myself tech savvy either, despite having 20 years of Personal Computer Experience; BTW this is my third computer. :lol:

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,

midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 31 January 2016 - 06:05 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users