Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games freezing, no one been able to help... please help! :(

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Silver_fang

Silver_fang

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Hello so i've turned to this community for help as no other community seems to be able to help.

Here can you see my thread on "techguy" forums:

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/games-started-to-stutter-freeze.1164492/

As you can see i've done quite much to find the issue. I noticed the problem with GTA V now i can see the freezing in other games as well like csgo and league of legends.

in GTA V the freeze is like 3-5 seconds and in csgo it's just milliseconds and same with league of legends.

I've checked the GPU + RAM and seems to be none of those that causing the problem.

I was thinking about the motherboard but i have no idea how to check if that's the cause.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:58 AM

The person who said your 4GB video card could use 4GB of your RAM is WRONG.  I didn't see if you've tried updating your video drivers.

I didn't go through the whole post.  What is your power supply?

#3 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

The person who said your 4GB video card could use 4GB of your RAM is WRONG.  I didn't see if you've tried updating your video drivers.

I didn't go through the whole post.  What is your power supply?

I've updated the GPU drivers to the latest, yes. No change.

650w is the woltage on the psu

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

Wait until the next freeze and then generate these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

Wait until the next freeze and then generate these reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I have done the steps.
About the temperatures... i've done it before. I'm posting the screenshots again (Everything is fine with temps) You can also check the thread i've done already over at techguy, link is posted in first post.

Without any games on:
DYs9KIu.png

with games on:
xDT0sxa.png

Note: I've done a hwdmonitor check also however the program doesn't show the accurate motherboard temp so speccy is the best one to get the accurate temps.

Attached Files

Edited by Silver_fang, 30 January 2016 - 06:51 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:38 AM

My apologies.  I am visually handicapped.  That means that I read very little of what it posted outside of this topic.

I appreciate your posting of the screenshots again.

Advanced System Care shows errors in the Admin logfile - please uninstall (and reinstall a fresh copy if you want to continue using it)

Problems also noted with Comodo tasks in Task Scheduler - please delete the Comodo task folder (or all tasks inside of it) in Task Scheduler

If Comodo is still installed, please uninstall it.  If you want to keep using it, install a freshly downloaded copy.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0802) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

There aren't a significant number of errors in any particular software component - so this appears to be more likely a hardware problem.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

When you finish up with them, please let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:55 PM

My apologies.  I am visually handicapped.  That means that I read very little of what it posted outside of this topic.

I appreciate your posting of the screenshots again.

Advanced System Care shows errors in the Admin logfile - please uninstall (and reinstall a fresh copy if you want to continue using it)

Problems also noted with Comodo tasks in Task Scheduler - please delete the Comodo task folder (or all tasks inside of it) in Task Scheduler

If Comodo is still installed, please uninstall it.  If you want to keep using it, install a freshly downloaded copy.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version 0802) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Only 3 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

There aren't a significant number of errors in any particular software component - so this appears to be more likely a hardware problem.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

When you finish up with them, please let us know the results and we'll move on from there.

IObits advanced system care program was installed 1 day back, so it's brand new install.

Comodo, it's uninstalled deleted the task folder that i found that was a leftover from the uninstall.

I updated the BIOS already to the latest it was one of the fixes i tried however no change. You can see the latest here https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/45/6/29/5LZYkw8P0W1LZeFm/40/

Z97-E BIOS 0802 is still the latest.

About Windows update it seems i can't update windows... I'm not sure why. It doesn't show any updates when i try to update windows via the regular update via control panel. Any thoughts?

I will update this post when the HWDIAG is done.

Update 1: I already did a RAM memtest86, after 4 hours there was no errors and passed 3/4 after that i exited the test as i read that you only need to check if there is any errors within the first hour if there seems to be none then there is no problem most likely. Do you still wish me to do this?

Or what exactly do you want me to download and send logs of?

Update 2: I also have Hiren's boot CD on a USB stick maybe i can use any of that to give you logs? Let me know when you read this.

Update 3: I made a "Furmark" gpu test and it showed that the GPU have 82c as a max degree in heat when pushed, would that be a cause for the freeze?

Update 4: I ran the Prime95 test, first time i used the TFF test it crashed after i started the run, restarted and tried the start again and it worked for 4 hours without any errors then i started the benchmark in that program and it crashed... here is the recent result: http://pastebin.com/S0UFrvVL

Update 5: I ran the Benchmark test again just to make sure and it crashed again, and again on the thread 4 and 4th physical CPU's here is the log of that one: http://pastebin.com/8gnxd1wY

what does this mean? Is it the motherboard?

Edited by Silver_fang, 01 February 2016 - 04:28 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

If you don't see any updates and it doesn't give you an error - then that's all that you can do.

All you have to do is tell me if there were any errors and what they were.
For example, some tests won't have an error log - but may have a screen that says something about an error.

Others may just crash your system - and there's really no need for a log then, just let me know that it crashes (which I saw you did later on in your post)

82ºC probably isn't high enough to cause problems.  You may want to look at the cooling solution for your video card, but it's not a high priority.

Which was the exact test that you ran?  That'll affect our troubleshooting.
Don't forget to run the Intel CPU stress test - that'll help rule out the CPU

Motherboard is most likely, but we're not quite certain that it's the problem yet.

If the CPU passes the stress test, then it's most likely the motherboard.

This is a problem as the only "test" is to replace the motherboard.

And, most places won't let you return a motherboard without charging a restocking fee.

Another possibility is the video card, even though it passed the stress test.

You can purchase one of those from a local store that'll let you return it for your money back if it's not needed

#9 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

If you don't see any updates and it doesn't give you an error - then that's all that you can do.

All you have to do is tell me if there were any errors and what they were.
For example, some tests won't have an error log - but may have a screen that says something about an error.

Others may just crash your system - and there's really no need for a log then, just let me know that it crashes (which I saw you did later on in your post)

82ºC probably isn't high enough to cause problems.  You may want to look at the cooling solution for your video card, but it's not a high priority.

Which was the exact test that you ran?  That'll affect our troubleshooting.
Don't forget to run the Intel CPU stress test - that'll help rule out the CPU

Motherboard is most likely, but we're not quite certain that it's the problem yet.

If the CPU passes the stress test, then it's most likely the motherboard.

This is a problem as the only "test" is to replace the motherboard.

And, most places won't let you return a motherboard without charging a restocking fee.

Another possibility is the video card, even though it passed the stress test.

You can purchase one of those from a local store that'll let you return it for your money back if it's not needed

The test i did was prime95 tff test then the one that caused my system to crash was the benchmark of prime95. You can find it under options -> benchmark...

I've also tried to restart the BIOS / loading default settings in bios, no help.

Update: I started the "intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" for 64x, when i start it i get a big "FAIL" on the launch quick test.

It looks like this: za5FiHx.png

Here is the quick test log: http://pastebin.com/dfP9wziz

UPDATE: There is obviously an bug with the latest version of IPDT (intel processor diagnostic tool), you can read more about it here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/98048

I made the CPU frequency test via the cmd and the results are these:

CPU Frequency Test
Module Version: 1.0.14.64b.W
Start Time: Mon Feb 01 15:04:42 2016
Test Result - PASS
Processor Name: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Expected CPU Frequency: 4.00
Detected CPU Frequency: 4
Expected Base Clock: 100
Detected Base Clock: 100
QPI link rate Test - Not supported.
Skipping QPI link rate Test.
End Time: Mon Feb 01 15:04:44 2016
Total Time:  seconds: 2

which seems alright.

About the prim95 benchmark test when it came to thread 4 the system crashes... is it the cpu that crashes? (thread 4)

Edited by Silver_fang, 01 February 2016 - 09:09 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 06:02 AM

First off, beware of posts like those that you've cited at the Intel forums.

This is not necessarily evidence of a bug - as it's only a few people discussing possibilities.

BUT, the fact that it fails one test and passes the other is a concern.

That being said, you have to decide what's what - as it's your CPU that may/may not have to be replaced.

You may want to talk to the experts over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

FYI, depending on which test you've chosen, Prime95 tests RAM, CPU cache and the memory controller (on i7's it's on the CPU)

There are 3 standard tests with Prime95 - Blend, Small FFT's and Large FFT's.  I presume you've done one of the FFT tests - so the primary emphasis of these tests is the CPU (although there is still some RAM tested.

IMO errors are starting to pile up that blame the CPU.  I'd think that you need to look into this more in order to decide which component you'll replace

Or, you can take this opportunity to update the system and replace all of the doubtful components.

Good luck!

In order of cheapness:
- try new RAM (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back)

- then try a new video card (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back)

- then (IMO) it's a toss up between the CPU and mobo - but I'd do the CPU as it's easier to replace (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back - but you may not be able to find one of those for CPUs, you may have to settle for an RMA with a restocking fee being deducted)

- then lastly, replace the motherboard (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back - but you may not be able to find one of those for motherboards, you may have to settle for an RMA with a restocking fee being deducted)

Edited by usasma, 02 February 2016 - 06:06 AM.

#11 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

First off, beware of posts like those that you've cited at the Intel forums.

This is not necessarily evidence of a bug - as it's only a few people discussing possibilities.

BUT, the fact that it fails one test and passes the other is a concern.

That being said, you have to decide what's what - as it's your CPU that may/may not have to be replaced.

You may want to talk to the experts over in the Internal Hardware forums:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

FYI, depending on which test you've chosen, Prime95 tests RAM, CPU cache and the memory controller (on i7's it's on the CPU)

There are 3 standard tests with Prime95 - Blend, Small FFT's and Large FFT's.  I presume you've done one of the FFT tests - so the primary emphasis of these tests is the CPU (although there is still some RAM tested.

IMO errors are starting to pile up that blame the CPU.  I'd think that you need to look into this more in order to decide which component you'll replace

Or, you can take this opportunity to update the system and replace all of the doubtful components.

Good luck!

In order of cheapness:
- try new RAM (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back)

- then try a new video card (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back)

- then (IMO) it's a toss up between the CPU and mobo - but I'd do the CPU as it's easier to replace (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back - but you may not be able to find one of those for CPUs, you may have to settle for an RMA with a restocking fee being deducted)

- then lastly, replace the motherboard (bought from a store that will allow you to return it for your money back - but you may not be able to find one of those for motherboards, you may have to settle for an RMA with a restocking fee being deducted)

I'm not sure what to do, could i do any more tests to give a more accurate answer to where to problem seems to be?

I just bought 8GB more ram i had 8 from the start now i have 16GB and i told earlier that i made a memtest86 with a 4 hour session and it passed all tests until i closed it.

I tried to play without the GPU and the problem still occurs which point towards the CPU/motherboard/PSU

So it's either one of those, i do have a another PC in my care... should i replace any parts from this system to try on the other to exclude one or two parts? If so which parts?

this is the other pc setup:

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz    36 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
    8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
    MSI P67A-G45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0)    37 °C
Graphics
    BenQ G2420HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (CardExpert Technology)    40 °C
Storage
    465GB Western Digital WDC WD5002AALX-00J37A0 ATA Device (SATA)    38 °C
    83GB Corsair Force 3 SSD ATA Device (SSD)    30 °C
Optical Drives
    Optiarc DVD RW AD-5280S ATA Device
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 06:30 AM

Unfortunately, you're between a rock and a hard place here.

There are no tests that are 100% reliable for motherboards.

There are few tests for CPU's (and you suspect that the CPU test isn't accurate).

If you have another CPU or motherboard you can test with - that's your best bet

If not, then you'll have to guess which one is to blame and purchase that one from a reputable dealer (and check out their return policy just in case)

If it were me, I'd go for the CPU first - but I'm not an expert in these things.
I'd strongly suggest that you ask over in the Internal Hardware forums for an expert opinion:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

#13 TazzyOpz

TazzyOpz

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

Are you sure it's even a hardware issue? Have you ruled out any driver issues?

Software Developer & Malware Analyst
Programming Langues: VB.net, C#, Java, & HTML.
Reverse Engineering/Tracking Tool familiarity: Ollydbg, IDA, CE, & Wireshark
My Website

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,794 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

What strikes me as odd is by all accounts your system should be running just fine, I would see if installing drivers from NVIDIA would help and maybe removing the microsoft installed drivers would help

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 Silver_fang

Silver_fang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

What strikes me as odd is by all accounts your system should be running just fine, I would see if installing drivers from NVIDIA would help and maybe removing the microsoft installed drivers would help

I found out that the HDMI cable that is connected to my TV caused the milliseconds freezes in regular games. Fixed by taking it out.

However i still have freezes in GTA V, no idea what's causing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users