Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two twitches after logo and then startup repair loop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hi there folks.

I'm having a issue with startup repair continuing to loop, only to then say that it cannot repair this computer. I've tried safe mode as well as most of the options from the F8 menu. Nothing breaks the cycle.

When starting the machine it will go up until the green moving bar above Microsoft Corporation, show a mouse arrow and then double twitch real fast and go to startup repair. I've pressed Esc after starting the machine, gone through the startup menu system diagnostics and passed all the test as well. I didn't have any restore points setup due to the enormous amount of hard drive space they seemed to take up.

I know not what to do anymore, what can I do to get her back to normal?

She's a 64bit Vista HP Laptop

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 January 2016 - 12:07 AM.
Moved from Vista to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 08:19 AM

Hi pleezehelpmefixher ^_^,

First of all. Cheery name ;)

Could you please provide me with more details like the model of the laptop? Also, are you able to access Safe Mode? If yes, kindly follow the below instructions and upload the ZIP file with your next post -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Also, by any chance, do you have the install disc of Vista or a repair disc?

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#3 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hi Blueelvis

The laptop is a HP Pavilion dv5-1235dx

When pressing F8 upon startup it does bring me to the advanced boot options screen, but when I select safe mode it then goes to a

"windows is loading files" screen followed by the green loading bar with Microsoft Corporation underneath and then the double twitch and back to startup repair.

I do have the 3 recovery dvds which I burned when first purchasing the laptop.

When inserting any one of the recovery disks and selecting boot up from internal cd/dvd rom drive it opens up the drive and spits the dvd out followed by a cycling back to startup repair.

#4 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:04 AM

That's very strange. The system should not reject the recovery discs. Could you please try sourcing a Windows disc (Setup Disc) from a friend or someone and see if that works or not?

I have asked another friend to take a look at this one as well :)

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

#5 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Hey there blueelvis, I burned a vista setup disc and tried booting from it. Same result. The disc drive opens and startup repair appears. I have in the past tried repairing the system with the factory discs, it would boot up from disk and give the option for complete restore or fixing. Factory restore is not a option I can entertain so I would then click repair and the end result would be a loop back to startup repair.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

A couple of things you can try.

Your description of the problem seems to indicate that the computer is booting directly to the hard drive. I believe you can tap Esc at boot then F9 to give a boot menu where you select the boot device. 

Create an iso of the setup disk using Imgburn and use it with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Attach the flash drive and tap F9 or make sure the USB is first boot device in BIOS.

Burn an iso of Parted Magic. Boot the disk and browse to C:\Windows\system32\config\regback

If the dates on the registry Hives in regback is before you problem occured then browse to the config folder and rename the 5 registry hives with a .bak extension. After renaming them copy the Hives from regback to config. Reboot

Parted Magic would at least give you the ability to copy your data to an external drive. See this guide

#7 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

Hey guys,

First of sorry for the delayed response.

I tried loading the RepairDiscWindowsVista64bit.iso file(downloaded from probz .net) onto the USB using Rufus, with no luck(something about a formatting error)

So I then tried option 2 & was able to boot up with parted magic.

I'm shown sda 1 286G and sda 2 12G Recovery

There is however no config folder when I browse to the system32 folder on either drive.

I have the feeling that the machine became infected with some form of malware based on statements and taunts made by someone who I trusted who send me a link through Facebook, redirecting to a Youtube clip which I then clicked on.

I also own a external hard drive which this person made reference to as well leading me to believe that they have some sort of remote access capability to view my computer and devices attached to it.

To add insult to injury the external hard drive seems to also have been affected since it no longer shows up when plugged into a computer.

I noticed a virus scanner option with parted magic. Could that be used to maybe check for any malware?

I'm hesitant to just copy everything to another machine, afraid the potential infection might also get transferred.

Your input on what I should attempt next is greatly appreciated.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

Sorry I missed your post. I would use Rufus with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Attach the computer via an Ethernet cable in order for Kaspersky to update it's definitions and do a scan. Does it detect anything? The disk is based on linux but is designed to find Windows malware on a computer that does not boot.

If there is not config folder in Windows/System32  then you will need to reinstall windows. The 12GB recovery partition will let you do a factory restore.

Edit: Kaspersky Rescue Disk also has a File Manager you can use to copy files.  User Guide

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 February 2016 - 03:40 PM.

#9 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

So I loaded kav_rescue_10.iso onto the USB stick and tried loading up with that .

I get an error message

GRUB loading

Welcome to GRUB!

error: symbol 'grub_isprint' not found.

Entering rescue mode...

grub rescue>

I'll admit I didn't quite wait on your response last time, went ahead and ran the virus scanner that comes with parted magic.

Updated the definitions and scanned.

It took about a full day and when finished it had found almost 2800 issues.

The most common one was a trojan named bancos.

Every single folder or program seemed to be infected.

Didn't know what to do next as there was no general fix it option. Just delete and quarantine.

The battery ran out so I'd have to do it all over again to try list all the different infections.

But I will wait on your advise this time and not jump the gun.

Thanks for your patience, I'm fighting a nasty infection from a cut finger so responding has been a literal pain.

Edited by pleezehelpmefixher, 18 February 2016 - 10:30 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

What is the computer used for, basic browsing and email. Are there any mission critical programs that need to be run on the computer? The virus scanner with Parted Magic is ClamAV which is good but can give false positives. With that many detections it's possible the malware is a file infector which means you should do a clean install. 

See if using Bitdefender Rescue iso and Rufus or the utility shown on the Bitdefender page will boot on your computer.

Tapping F11 at boot should give you a Restore Manager that will allow you to do a factory reset. But, there is no guarantee the recovery partition is not infected. 

If the malware is a file infector, I would wipe the computer and put a linux distro on it like Mint or Ubuntu. This depends on what programs are needed on the computer. Most Windows programs have linux equivalents. Mint or Ubuntu would run very well on this computer and your chances of getting infected again are minimal when using linux.

For Mint, I would recommend Cinnamon 17.2. There have been some issues with 17.3   Mint is easier for people coming from Windows but I personally like Ubuntu

For Ubuntu I would recommend LTS 14.04

You can boot either and they will not install onto the hard drive. They will run from RAM and off the USB or DVD. This would give you a chance to test both to see which one you prefer. They would also give you a functioning computer for browsing and email.

#11 pleezehelpmefixher

pleezehelpmefixher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:01 PM

So I decided to quit trying to "fix her" and just ended up doing a fresh reinstall from the internal restore drive after of course having backed up all the data I could onto a external hard drive my human girlfriend so graciously let me use. The laptop is now up and running again with only a few minor issues that weren't there before. The DVD drive stopped working (other than occasionally popping open on its own), and the screen seems to have a loose contact somewhere in the hinge causing irritating scrolling and freezing. I appreciate you guys helping me along and showing patience through it all.

Thank You

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,673 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:41 AM

Thank for taking the time to post an update. Glad you are up and running. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and do a complete reinstall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users