Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update freeze up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drron

drron

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

Just finished reloading windows 7 with service pack 1 on a replacement hard drive.  Upgrades worked ok until an update to the update agent 7.6.7600.320 was installed.  At that point, trying to run udates resulted in searching freeze ups.  Tried dozens of numerous "fixes" but all failed to resolve the issue.  Then ran the microsoft fix it tool.  Got an error 0x8024402C -not fixed.  Tried a few more fixes, but all failed. 

Anyone with a fix that actually resolves the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,855 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

It's a large download but try the Windows Update Readiness Tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20858

#3 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:45 AM

Tried the windows update readiness tool.  It ran very slow, so I let it run overnight.  Found this error code this morning - "Installer encountered an error 0x800704C7 - operation cancelled".  What's next?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,855 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:52 AM

Download the Latest Update Agent here and install. Then try doing the updates again. If that does not work then open an elevated Command Prompt and type

sfc /scannow

CMD in the search box > Right Click Run as Administrator. 

#5 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

On trying to shut down the computer this morning, I noticed that the windows update readiness tool did find 172 updates even though I got the 0x800704c7 error code.  All 172 updates then installed on shut down! I powered up the system again and tried the regular update checker.  Now it works! It found another 9 optional updates.  Anyone have any idea what just happened?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,855 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

I am guessing the Update Readiness tool fixed any file corruption on shutdown and restart.

#7 drron

drron
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:59 PM

Well, thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users