Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Monitor Just Turned Off

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:56 PM

Something just happened that kind of has me worried. I was working on a spreadsheet when all of the sudden my screen goes black. I jiggle the mouse and nothing happens but after pressing the power button the screen came back on exactly where I was like it suddenly went to sleep or something. But it's not supposed to go to sleep if I'm using it and moving the mouse usually wakes it up. It also didn't gradually fade out like it does when it goes to sleep it just snapped straight to black. I also don't think it overheated because it was actually cool to the touch, it has been physically warmer than that in the past without problems.

So far (And hopefully totally) it's only happened once but it has me worried.

Windows 8.1

Lenovo G50-45

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bad-People

Bad-People
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:12 PM

Okay. I'm starting to think, or at least hoping, what happened was I accidentally hit one of the function keys when  I was trying to input a number and that did something weird. I remember it seemed to happen the moment I tried to put in a number. I don't remember exactly what it was but I THINK it was a six which would mean I probably hit either F6 or F7 since those are both directly above the 6 key. I can't seem to find anything to tell me what these keys do though (Without simultaneously holding the Fn key) but F6 has a picture of a little box with a diagonal line through it and F7 has a little airplane on it.

(Hitting the wrong key is a problem I've had with this laptop since I've had it. The keyboard seems a little smaller than my old one and I often do things like hitting "Num Lock" when trying to hit "Backspace")

Edited by Bad-People, 28 January 2016 - 10:15 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

Here is a link to the manual for this computer, P12 tells what the various F keys do.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/lenovo_g40_g50_z40_z50_ug_english.pdf?linkTrack=PSP:ProductInfo:UserGuide

Looking at the diagram the most likely culprit is the 'F9' key which on this keyboard appears to be sited immediately above the digit '9' key. This toggles between the computer screen and an external screen but is normally disabled if you do not have an external screen connected.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users