Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Checking file system on C:

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Summer21

Summer21

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

OK I've been reading past post about this issue but my computer does not allow me to press anything at all. Last thing it has is correcting error in index $sdh for file 9 for the past 12 hours. Can anyone help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:40 PM

Can you reference the thread you are referring to? Are you doing a chkdsk?

#3 Summer21

Summer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:47 PM

No I did not try to do anything. I started my computer after the electricity went out and now it is coming out with the screen. The keyboard does not let me stop the check or allow me to press anything

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:57 PM

That could be a hardware problem or the file system has become corrupted. Is the computer a laptop or Desktop?

At this point I would do a hard shutdown. Hold the power button down until the computer shuts off. After the computer has been shut down do the following.

On a desktop pull the power cable, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power cable and reboot.

On a laptop detach the power brick. Remove the main battery if possible. Hold the power button done for 30 seconds. Replace the main batter and attach the power brick. Reboot. If that does not work then do the same thing but do not replace the main battery. Only attach the power brick and reboot.

#5 Summer21

Summer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

It is a desktop. Thank you for your advice, I will be trying that.

#6 Summer21

Summer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Well that did not work unfortunately. Any other ideas?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

What happens when you try to reboot? Is there any data you need off the hard drive? 

#8 Summer21

Summer21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:25 PM

Yes I would like to get some data off of it if possible. It goes straight to the same screen, but gets stuck on correcting error in index $SDH for file 9.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

I am going to be leaving until tomorrow morning but you can try the following.

Download Puppy linux tahrpup heretahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso  Burn the iso file to a CD. You can do this on a Windows 7 computer by right clicking the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. On XP you can use a program called Imgburn. If you use Imgburn opt out of any programs it asks you to install. Instructions for using Imgburn

Boot the Puppy linux disk. In the lower left of the desktop is your disk partitions labeled sda1...sda2..depending on how many partitions you have on the hard drive. For an OEM Vista computer you may have two or more. Click once on the sdaX icon. If the file system is not corrupted Puppy will mount the partition and open a FIle Manager. If you do not see your Windows files then close the File Manager and click once on another sdaX icon until you find the partition with the Windows folder or files if you store them on a data partition. In Puppy you only need to click once on a folder to open it.

Attach a USB flash drive or USB external drive to your computer. A USB icon will appear next to your Optical Drive Icon. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. Resize and drag each window until they are side by side. Highlight any files/folders you want copied by left clicking while holding down the Ctrl key. You can also left click and Window around folders and files you want copied. Drag the Highlighted files from the Desktop Window to the USB Window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy, not Move. Check the quiet box. 

If the file system is corrupted Puppy will not be able to open the partitions. If that happens post back and I will answer tomorrow. Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users