Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Licenses Bios?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 killmasta93

killmasta93

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could assist me on understanding windows licensing embedded on the bios?

I used the nirsoft to see the key if or when i need to format but not sure what are the new rules of the Licenses that are in the bios?

Also im new to windows licensing i was wondering where would i know if the key is original is there a website to check the lics?

Lenovo L440 windows 8.1 pro

Thank you

See picture

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

If the key is embedded in firmware you can do a clean install using the Windows 8.1 Media Creation Tool and when online it will self-activate. When the install ask for a key you can either enter the one you found in firmware or enter nothing and click next. 

For the Media Creation Tool pick the same version you have.  There is a PID checker where you input your key and shows your version but I am not sure it supports Windows 8.1

#3 killmasta93

killmasta93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:03 PM

Hi JohnC,

Thank you for the reply,

So lets say I would want to format the computer do i need to first deactivate the key using

slmgr /upk and the activation ID

then I have my own ISO windows 8.1 that wont accept any license keys besides XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB which is the trail version

then I would enter the license key of from what nirsoft key shows the windows 8.1 pro

So this PID checker shows me if its original the key?

Thank you

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:15 PM

Did you find the key in firmware using FirmwareTablesView? Look for your key under the MSDM table. Compare the key in FirmwareTablesView to the one using Produkey, also from Nirsoft. 

The PID checker should be able to tell you what version the embedded key is for but as I posted, I am not sure if it works for 8.1.

I don't think you need to bother with slmgr. Are you planning on doing a complete clean install. Here is a guide on doing a clean install.

Before doing this I would recommend you do a complete disk image to an external drive with either Macrium Free Reflect or Aoemi Backupper Standard. Both let you create a bootable WinPE disk to restore the image from an external drive.

Edit: I would create a new iso file using the link I provided. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#5 killmasta93

killmasta93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

Hi

Thank you again for the reply so it seems that using the firmware tables matched exactly to the nirsoft produ key. Good sign that its legal?

Also My ISO i downloaded for windows 7 and 8.1pro from this site

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/70-windows-8-x-and-windows-10-iso-direct-download-links?highlight=WyJ3aW5kb3dzIiwiOC4xIiwid2luZG93cyA4LjEiXQ==

Also using the firmware tables is it only for windows 8 embedded to the bios? Because i tried running it on another computer which is not embedded to the bios did not show nothing from Microsoft licensing section.

They seem legit and had no issue so far but because im getting into the legal part its a tad bit more complicated when formatting.

Usually when i format in the advance i usually delete everything and add the partitions.

Thank you again

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,622 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 09:18 PM

That is a good sign. I did not see Windows 7 in your download link,only Windows 8.1 and 10. Those links are to the media creation tool so they are legit as well as your key in firmware. Only OEM computers with WIndows 8 preinstalled have the key in firmware. The key for Windows 8 will work when installing Windows 8.1.

You do not need to add partitions during the install. Simply delete everything and Windows 8 will create the correct partitions. If you need to add a partition later use a third party partition manager such as Partition Wizard or Aoemi Partition Assistant. Both are free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users