Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Bothersome Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 beane316

beane316

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:48 AM

Ok, let me try to explain this...firstly, my computer has been acting up pretty badly lately. I have had problems while using a headset on the instant messengers and it basically freezes up on me to the point where I have to manually reboot my computer because I can't click on anything. Also, I found out that I still have my Charter Security Suite (in addition to my newly purchased Norton Anti-Virus 2006) and it won't let me delete it. I went into Computer Files and tried to get rid of it that way but it tells me to uninstall it in the Add/Remove option. So, I go there and try and when I click on it, it pops up and says yes/no and when I click yes to uninstall it, it flashes for a second then it just acts like nothing happened. I don't understand why it's doing this, but I bet those both have a commonplace together in the problem. Can anyone help me out with this? Thanks a lot for reading.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:30 AM

You cannot uninstall a program while it's running.

Disable it in your startup menu and use safe mode to uninstall it in add/remove programs. Also, if it has a taskbar icon right click and see if it gives you a choice to exit the program.

Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#3 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:59 PM

Well, I had to talk to a charter rep. but he helped me uninstall the program successfully from my computer. But now, I still have a big problem.

My Task Manager is messed up pretty bad. Whenever I bring it up, I don't have a top or bottom to it, and that means I don't even have the X to end it. To end the task manager I have to pretty much bring it up a bunch of times and then delete it as a group. I think this is effecting my headset screwing up so bad and freezing my computer when I use it. I think there's some underlying problem because I used to be able to get on the headset with no problem and now no matter what program I use...it messes me up and I have to shut down my computer. I don't know what else to do and I don't want to do a system restore unless it's 100% necessary. Any ideas?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:27 AM

System Restore or reload Windows? - two different things.

In any case - bring up the task manager and try clicking on its border - it may re-establish the task manager box.

For the sound problem - did it begin recently - like after you uninstalled Charter?

Look in your device manager-
right click on your My Computer icon on your desktop
choose Properties
click the Hardware tab
click the Device Manager button

are there any red or yellow warning icons in any group related to Sound?

If there are - either update the drivers or delete the item, reboot, and let Windows reinstall it.

You may have to download the driver/s from the manufacturer's support site.

#5 beane316

beane316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:43 AM

Amazing...my Task Manager is all better now and that's all I had to do :thumbsup:

The sound problem has been happening for about a month or so. It just decides to freeze up my computer and forces me to reboot, pretty much. I just uninstalled the charter today...and it didn't help fix my sound problem. It was working fine with no problems until about a month ago, and now it barely works. Sometimes as soon as I log online, I go and close every messenger but Yahoo OR Skype and try to headset and within 2 minutes it sometimes messes up. I don't understand what has happened.

I looked in my device manager and nothing was wrong. They all said they were up and running and I didn't see any red or yellow notices anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 04:17 AM

Try updating the driver for your sound adapter.

Also - look in Windows System Restore and see if you have a date from before your sound problem began.

System Restore
click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Edited by Enthusiast, 31 July 2006 - 04:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users