Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CORTANA

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Even though I don't have a microphone for my computer I still think Cortana is useful and helpful. I don't know why so many people dislike that feature.? Anyone else have thoughts on Cortana?

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:36 PM

I don't use Cortana, but I have taught people who want that kind of service to use it and I have to say it's pretty amazing.  What I've seen so far makes Cortana the equal of Siri, if not better than Siri.

If you want a personal digital assistant it requires that said assistant have access to your personal information to manipulate it as you command "her" to.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:24 AM

I have no use for Cortana.  I've been using search engines since 1974, and have no need or desire to communicate verbally with one.  Can you imagine a big office full of dozens of desks a few feet apart and everybody having verbal conversations with their computers?  That seems very counter-productive to me.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

I have no use for Cortana.  I've been using search engines since 1974, and have no need or desire to communicate verbally with one.  Can you imagine a big office full of dozens of desks a few feet apart and everybody having verbal conversations with their computers?  That seems very counter-productive to me.

I feel pretty much the same way.  That being said, Cortana (and Siri) were never envisioned for use in a crowded office.  They can come in very handy when a smartphone is involved in a setting where you're not disturbing everyone around you.  They're also a godsend for the blind and visually-impaired as far as accessibility goes.

The right tool for the job very often becomes the wrong tool when used for another.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 Atomic77

Atomic77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

I guess that is a good point. I could imagine that would be kind of ackward.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#6 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:28 PM

I have to admit that i never gave Cortana a chance. I was so annoyed by getting only Bing searches whenever I tried to find something on my computer, that I shut her down. It wasn't so much the privacy issue, although that was a factor, it was that she just didn't enhance my experience. Definitely the wrong tool for me, but useful for others.

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

While I have heard of it, as a non-cellphone user, this was not the Cortana I was thinking of when I read the thread title. I was thinking of:

Halo is set in the twenty-sixth century, with the player assuming the role of the Master Chief, a cybernetically enhanced supersoldier. The player is accompanied by Cortana, an artificial intelligence who occupies the Master Chief's neural interface.

-REF:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved

However, it seems the Cortana personal assistant was inspired by the Cortana from Halo.

It is named after Cortana a synthetic intelligence character in Microsoft's Halo video game franchise
-REF:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortana_%28software%29

I've never used Cortana, but at some point I might have to give it a whirl, just for fun.

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:51 AM

I just have no use for it.

If this was a smartphone it would be fine but I have a full desktop computer and there is this invention called a keyboard and a website called google.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

One bit of interesting data I learned recently, but have not tested myself:  If you have set your default browser to other than Edge (or, probably IE, but don't know about that) and have set your default search engine in that browser to something other than Bing, Cortana does not end up using Bing - she uses whatever you've set as your default browser and search engine for web results.

If someone cares to report back that uses Cortana I'd be curious what you find.  I'm not curious enough to enable Cortana because I wouldn't use "her" for anything other than the experiment.

~ Mark Twain

#10 Atomic77

Atomic77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:37 AM

Just Bing it baby Bing it lol I just had to say that.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:42 AM

Meh bing can bite me

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#12 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:57 AM

I have always had Firefox set as my default browser (and Google as my search engine), and, in the few days I used Cortana, I got Bing results. That was in August, though, so things may have changed.

#13 Terryinfinchley

Terryinfinchley

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

I just had a check. Nah. Still goes to Bing. And still has the same rubbish semi-relevant results that Bing gives, more to the point since it wouldn't matter if I got what I needed.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

Well, I just tested Cortana using a local account where I have Firefox set as my web browser and DuckDuckGo as my search provider in Firefox, along with the checkbox in Firefox to use this search engine for Windows results, and Cortana web results are brought up in Firefox using DuckDuckgo.

It may be different if you're using a Microsoft Account, but I'm not interested in using Cortana on a regular basis so I'm not going to enable her on anything other than my test local account.  It also appears that you can't interact with her verbally unless you're using a Microsoft Account or are willing to enter Microsoft Account credentials within a local account.  This makes some sense as personal digital assistants need to build a historical profile, including regarding your voice, to function accurately.  I did the search via the Cortana box but by typing the input instead of speaking it.

~ Mark Twain

#15 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:36 PM

I guess things HAVE changed. I fired up Cortana (with a Microsoft account), and got a Google Search on Firefox. I don't recall checking the box to "use this search engine in Windows", but it's checked, so I guess it always has been. I wonder if folks using Chrome have the same results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users