Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No mono audio?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:18 PM

I would really, really like a way to output mono audio.

However, going through as many settings as I can find, sound card, trying to find mono settings, etc none of them show that my PC can output mono audio right now.

Does anyone have a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:10 AM

In order to provide you with a possible solution you need to post the make and model of this computer.

If this is a custom build, post the make and model of the motherboard.  If you are using a dedicated audio card, post the make and model of it.

One possibility that may work would be a stereo to mono adapter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ok.

Mine is an ASUS K501L, although it's a bit fooked up because somehow the seller mysterious replaced the default 255gb ssd with a 128gb ssd.

I'm not exactly sure what information you're asking for.....

Here's the general.

ASUS K501LX 15.6 Inch Laptop (Intel Core i7, 8 GB, 256GB SSD) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

My sound card's info is just a realtek.....  The laptop sticker says "Sonic Master"..

But also, how can I get a stereo to mono adapter? If it's a physical thing and not software I don't think I would feel like attaching something outside my comp.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

It looks like there is a combination microphone input and a headphone output jack on the right side.  But there is no audio output which could be used to use with a stereo to mono adapter.

The user's manual does not show any stereo or mono options for SonicMaster at all.  You can check in the Control Panel to see what options are available under Sound or SonicMaster.  I suspect that all you will only find speaker configurations for Stereo, Quadraphonic, 5.1 Speaker, and 7.1 Speaker.

Why do you wish to use mono?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 06:46 PM

I don't enjoy hearing a weight of bass and treble in different ears when I put in headphones or earbuds. Especially when I listen to music.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

One possible solution which I think would work would be to swap the existing, presumably, 3.5mm stereo jack plug on the headphone lead for a mono one and solder both the audio leads to the live out connection.

You will find that the cable to your headphones contains two wires and a braided surrounding screen. You would need to cut off the existing plug as it is almost certainly of molded construction then solder the screen to the earth connection on the mono plug and the two wires together to the live terminal. If you have any competence with a soldering iron this would be fairly easy to do.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 31 January 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#7 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 03:58 AM

One possible solution which I think would work would be to swap the existing, presumably, 3.5mm stereo jack plug on the headphone lead for a mono one and solder both the audio leads to the live out connection.

You will find that the cable to your headphones contains two wires and a braided surrounding screen. You would need to cut off the existing plug as it is almost certainly of molded construction then solder the screen to the earth connection on the mono plug and the two wires together to the live terminal. If you have any competence with a soldering iron this would be fairly easy to do.

Chris Cosgrove

:l I don't have a soldering iron. I have no idea how anyone would have one.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

Now days these jacks are PC mounted.  There are pins on the bottom of audio jack which go through holes in the card or motherboard which are soldered in place.  

If it's a physical thing and not software I don't think I would feel like attaching something outside my comp.

Actually, using a stereo to mono adapter would be the simplest solution.  You are going to be connecting a pair of head phones to the computer, so it would be a simple addition of the adapter to the plug of the headphones.

If you look at the adapter in the ad you will see how compact this is.  You would simply plug the stereo headphone jack into the adapter and leave it connected.  

#9 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:50 AM

Thanks a lot. I'll try that. But what about a software option? Suppose I don't use headpones and just default laptop speakers. I'm just curious, but there must be some way to do this... right?

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,689 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

There is no software solution for this with what you have to work with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users