Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mac Hardware Questions.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 luciusad2004

luciusad2004

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 28 July 2006 - 11:57 PM

I recently recieved an old 12 inch ibook (from about 2001) w/ a 600 MHz g3 processor (yes i know old and slow but hey... it was free and im not complaining, besides im actually quite fond of it.) I was thinking if i get the money about maybe upgradeing the ram since i highly doubt ill get a new laptop anytime soon.

So i was wonder.... does anyone outhere know if the ram for mac's is proprietary? Do i have to buy it from apple? or can i just find normal ram that will fit? It would be much easier on me ... and my wallet, if i can use typical ram. i looked on apples site and they wanted like $150 dollars for 512Mb

One more question...

Currently inside of it there is the built in 128 Mb and i think a 256 chip (i get an odd total like 300 sumthing)
Would it help speed her up if i replaced the 256 with a 512, or would it be a waste of money?

as always
Thanks for any and all help and/or advice.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 07:39 AM

Hi luciusad2004.
Apple's memory is not propriatory. You don't have to buy ram from Apple.
The only thing you want to be careful about is that you get memory with the same OEM specs.
Most likely a 3.3 volt, 10ns so-dimm chip but double check the specs.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 08:21 AM

Crucial.com has a site that will help you determine exactly what you need and provide it for you.

http://www.crucial.com/

#4 luciusad2004

luciusad2004
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thanks for the help, that will save me a decent chunk of change and it was nice and easy to use.

Thanks again.

---Computer Science Major---

Sophomore - I'll graduate... someday

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users