Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder size 24 bytes/1.5KB too big for recycle bin?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

On an external drive I have a folder of WindowsImageBackup which I wanted to delete as it seems too small so perhaps no good.

Looking at its Properties it has, Size: 24 bytes; Size on disk: 1,50KB, Contains 3 files, 6 folders.

Trying to delete this I get the message that 'This folder is too large for the recycle bin'. Can this be right?

Apparently I can 'permanently' delete it though.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

You can routinely get that message re Recycle Bin size...depending on the current contents in RB and file size.

I get such all the time when I delete any number of video files at the same time...I keep my RB size very low and sometimes just remove it from the equation by having all files deleted completely without bothering with a RB.

Since you always have the option to delete anyway...I would waste any brain cells on that situation.

The size of the RB is completely up to each user.  If you are the type that deletes, then changes your mind...you probably ought to use RB and consider the size based on the frequency you empty the contents.

Louis

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for responding. Yes, somewhat of a waste of time to consider this but I wanted to understand  if there was a simple explanation.

I get that message when my RB is empty. And with the size of that file as indicated, very small, why should that  happen?

I won't lose sleep over it but it seems to me rather odd.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:45 AM

You may have Hidden Files within that folder you are deleting ,

But if the files are not required then just delete them , the bin will always warn you if the file is too Big for the bin and then give you the option to delete anyway.

So click delete.

You can use Program "Search Everything" https://www.voidtools.com/   to give you folder sizes etc.

There are others but this was off the top of my head.

Edited by Havachat, 02 February 2016 - 02:46 AM.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 656 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2016 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for that.  So hidden files are not counted when checking sizes in Properties - I wonder why, seems odd. It was a Windows Image Backup file so would that have a lot of hidden files - well I suppose so but what is the point of that, not to confuse the user?

Thanks for that useful link.

Edited by zzzz, 02 February 2016 - 05:45 AM.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:29 AM

I tested files in C:\ drive Properties - Unhidden = 44.7 G.

I tested files in C:\ drive Properties - Hidden     = 43.5 G

In otherwords if you highlight what you can see , thats the total size.

And if all files are unhidden and selected , then properties show a higher size - or correct size of folder.

In regards to a Windows Image - i cant give an answer - I dont use Windows Backup , I use Acronis.

Hope this helps or explains my theory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users