Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need more space for update

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 novice3

novice3

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

I attempted to update windows and a dialog box appears, see attached untitled.bmp, says windows needs more space.  The update is Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

I cleaned the system files and temp files using built in windows application, Disk Cleanup

There is only 8GB available for use on the hard disk drive that came with this new computer.  Thank you for any advice or support

OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
OS Version:                10.0.10240 N/A Build 10240
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Original Install Date:     11/23/2015, 2:17:09 PM
System Boot Time:          1/27/2016, 11:10:25 PM
System Manufacturer:       Acer
System Model:              Aspire R3-131T
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 76 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~1601 Mhz
BIOS Version:              Insyde Corp. V1.09, 7/21/2015
Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:                 (UTC-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Total Physical Memory:     1,871 MB
Available Physical Memory: 448 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  3,471 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 1,548 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    1,923 MB
Page File Location(s):     C:\pagefile.sys
Domain:                    WORKGROUP
Logon Server:              \\MicrosoftAccount
Hotfix(s):                 11 Hotfix(s) Installed.
                           [01]: KB3074678
                           [02]: KB3074683
                           [03]: KB3074686
                           [04]: KB3081449
                           [05]: KB3087040
                           [06]: KB3105213
                           [07]: KB3106932
                           [08]: KB3116097
                           [09]: KB3116869
                           [10]: KB3124266
                           [11]: KB3133431

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:14 PM

Can you take a screenshot of Disk Managment? I can't believe anybody would sell a windows 8 or 10 computer with only 32gb of storage. Walmart shows it here.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2016 - 04:18 PM.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

- You've got only 2 GB of memory and 8 GB of free disk space ??? From what version of Windows did you upgrade ?

- Run Speccy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

to make a snapshot of your system (File >> Publish Snapshot) and post the link that pops up in your next reply. I fear your system specifications are inadequate for Windows 10. (I would recommend a fresh clean install of Windows 10).

Edited by Willy22, 28 January 2016 - 04:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

I would put linux Mint Xfce on this computer vs Windows 10 but it depends on what programs the OP uses or needs.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

If this 28 GB is a partition on a larger hard drive, there are utilities that will expand it.  If not, you're going to need a bigger hard drive.  How old is this computer?  Are you sure it will work with Windows 10?  Not having any more details about what you have, I have to wonder if you shouldn't just buy a new computer.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:05 PM

If this 28 GB is a partition on a larger hard drive, there are utilities that will expand it.  If not, you're going to need a bigger hard drive.  How old is this computer?  Are you sure it will work with Windows 10?  Not having any more details about what you have, I have to wonder if you shouldn't just buy a new computer.

Here is the Acer page. Shows Windows 10 with 32GB of SSD storage. Most of the models have a 500GB drive. 

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:16 PM

- System requirements for Windows 10:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-system-requirements-windows-10-compatibility

Although it's - IMO - woefully inadequate to run Win 10 smoothly.

I would recommend to have 4 or 8 Gb of memory and a harddisk/SSD of - at least - 500 GB. And I am not sure the CPU of that ACER system is powerful enough.

#8 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:25 PM

Can you take a screenshot of Disk Managment? I can't believe anybody would sell a windows 8 or 10 computer with only 32gb of storage. Walmart shows it here.

Please, see attached file labeled diskmgmt.jpg

- You've got only 2 GB of memory and 8 GB of free disk space ??? From what version of Windows did you upgrade ?

- Run Speccy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

to make a snapshot of your system (File >> Publish Snapshot) and post the link that pops up in your next reply. I fear your system specifications are inadequate for Windows 10. (I would recommend a fresh clean install of Windows 10).

The url speccy snapshot is at, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Ji5sL1OpSLcwJNj6di8udB0

I would put linux Mint Xfce on this computer vs Windows 10 but it depends on what programs the OP uses or needs.

Thank you for the advice.  I am not sure if my mother would be able to learn linux OS at this time.

The computer was purchased approximately October 2015 at a local walmart.

Here is the Acer page. Shows Windows 10 with 32GB of SSD storage. Most of the models have a 500GB drive. 

I am confused as well.  The computer was purchased approximately October 2015.

- System requirements for Windows 10:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-system-requirements-windows-10-compatibility

Although it's - IMO - woefully inadequate to run Win 10 smoothly.

I would recommend to have 4 or 8 Gb of memory and a harddisk/SSD of - at least - 500 GB. And I am not sure the CPU of that ACER system is powerful enough.

Thank you for a quick reply.  I not sure either.

Attached Files

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

You have a 32GB SSD for storage.

For Linux you do not have to install it. You can put it on a USB key and boot from that. See how your mother likes it. What does your mother use the computer for? Basic browsing and email?

But, if you plan on staying with Windows you need to bump up your RAM and also your Storage space. 

If you are interested in booting a linux USB flash drive please start a thread in the Linux Forum and reference this thread. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2016 - 07:32 PM.

#10 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:38 PM

You have a 32GB SSD for storage.

For Linux you do not have to install it. You can put it on a USB key and boot from that. See how your mother likes it. What does your mother use the computer for? Basic browsing and email?

But, if you plan on staying with Windows you need to bump up your RAM and also your Storage space. 

If you are interested in booting a linux USB flash drive please start a thread in the Linux Forum and reference this thread. 

I will try the linux USB key and see what she thinks.  Basic browsing and email.  I am hoping to see if Windows 10 Home 64 bit is compatible with the Acer.  I do have a factory reset USB flash drive provided from Acer.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

You can download the iso of Mint Xfce here. Use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run Rufus and make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Select MBR partition scheme. Allow Quick Format. Leave everything checked as listed. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the iso of Mint you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive first.

In order to boot Mint Xfce you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. You can access the boot device by tapping F12 at boot. This option needs to be enabled in UEFI.

Disabling SecureBoot on an Acer

Enabling F12 boot menu

Here are the system requirements for Mint Xfce

• 512MB RAM (1GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 9GB of disk space (20GB recommended).
  • Graphics card capable of 800×600 resolution (1024×768 recommended).
  • DVD drive or USB port.

As you can see it is significanly less than Windows 10

Here is a video of Mint Xfce 17.2. Naturally it will run slower off the USB then if installed on the SSD. 

#12 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:33 PM

You can download the iso of Mint Xfce here. Use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Run Rufus and make sure your USB flash drive is listed. Select MBR partition scheme. Allow Quick Format. Leave everything checked as listed. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image and click the folder icon. Browse to the iso of Mint you downloaded. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive first.

In order to boot Mint Xfce you will need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. You can access the boot device by tapping F12 at boot. This option needs to be enabled in UEFI.

Enabling F12 boot menu

• DVD drive or USB port.

Here is a video of Mint Xfce 17.2. Naturally it will run slower off the USB then if installed on the SSD. 

Installing linux os is an excellent solution to windows update error "need more space."  I am not sure if Acer will back the warranty if a different Operating System is installed.  Since the Acer is my mothers, I will try and recover the system with Acer recovery USB drive and see if it reverts to the 32 bit version of Windows 10 Home originally installed.  I am confused as to how the 64 bit version of Windows 10 automatically installed itself. 

Thank you everyone that has responded to this posting. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,655 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 02:38 PM

I am confused as to how the 64 bit version of Windows 10 automatically installed itself. 

You and a lot of other people.

I can't imagine how linux would void a hardware warranty. If the computer came with Windows 8 you can always install it again using the Media Creation Tool here. The key is embedded in firmware and Windows will self-activate when online.

Were you able to boot linux from a USB?

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

Enabling F12 boot menu

• DVD drive or USB port.

Installing linux os is an excellent solution to windows update error "need more space."  I am not sure if Acer will back the warranty if a different Operating System is installed.  Since the Acer is my mothers, I will try and recover the system with Acer recovery USB drive and see if it reverts to the 32 bit version of Windows 10 Home originally installed.  I am confused as to how the 64 bit version of Windows 10 automatically installed itself. 

Thank you everyone that has responded to this posting. 

It probably didn't. You can simply buy a new 256 gb SSD real cheap and install it, that will fix your problems. I don't even see how you were able to buy a computer in 2015 with such a small hard drive, I thought that all PCs came with at least 1 tb of storage since at least since 2008.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 novice3

novice3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2016 - 10:43 PM

I reset the computer through Recovery Management in Acer Care Center.

I will update this posting soon...​

I do have a thread about this same issue, located at the following forum:

http://community.acer.com/t5/S-and-R-Series/Aspire-R3-131T-need-more-space-for-windows-update/m-p/411527/highlight/true#M3694

Thank you ​for any support.  I hope to keep this topic open, as the update issue is not resolved. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users