Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable PC Vaccum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cwarnick1506

cwarnick1506

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

I work for a large healthcare company and we are search of portable pc vaccum or small vaccum that has attachments to clean out the pc.  I would like for it be portable with no cord.  Any ideas would be very helpful, if you could just post a link right to it, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hello, and Welcome to BC.

I would be hesitant to vacuum out a PC because of the static a vacuum can generate. 

http://superuser.com/questions/605559/pc-cleaning-why-is-vacuuming-a-static-electricity-risk-to-internal-components-b

http://www.howtogeek.com/57870/ask-how-to-geek-why-you-should-never-vacuum-your-pc-converting-books-for-the-kindle-and-controlling-multiple-computers-with-one-keyboard/

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

There are such things, try BlackBox.  I don't have a cordless but it is small enough to sling under my arm with a strap.   Uses the paper bag pickup.  When using a vacuum, I wrap the tip with foil and ground the foil.  This prevents a static buildup on the tip created by the air moving past the plastic. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

There are such things, try BlackBox.  I don't have a cordless but it is small enough to sling under my arm with a strap.   Uses the paper bag pickup.  When using a vacuum, I wrap the tip with foil and ground the foil.  This prevents a static buildup on the tip created by the air moving past the plastic. 

Nice tip, thanks. 

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

There are some little portable, battery powered things that are advertised as a keyboard vacuum, with little brushes and all.  But they won't do any good.  They're sold mostly in novelty stores.  Professional units are available from MATCO tools, or SNAP-ON tools but are EXPENSIVE.

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

A friend of mine once gave me his old one. It was designed for cleaning large printers/photocopy machines. Had about a 1/2 dia tube and was a anti static unit.  I once looked it up it was a $300.00 unit, so not exactly cheap.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:41 PM

Where I used to work the people blew out the computers with compressed air. I think 300 dollars would purchase a pretty good compressor and filter. Of course the only option with compressed air is that it's done outside..

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:30 AM

"Where I used to work the people blew out the computers with compressed air. I think 300 dollars would purchase a pretty good compressor and filter. Of course the only option with compressed air is that it's done outside.."

This is without doubt the most effective way of cleaning out a computer - it can clean out all the nooks & crannies - but you do need a small plastic stick or similar to prevent fans spinning as you are blowing on them. You also need to be not too concerned about getting yourself covered in dust. You do need a proper air line though - canned "compressed air" won't be adequate. In some factory settings you can even get away without taking the computer outside, although this would not be acceptable in an office or domestic environment - & certainly unacceptable anywhere in a healthcare company.

Edited by rqt, 31 January 2016 - 04:32 AM.

#9 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 05:16 AM

My friend worked for Zerox servicing really big office printers/photocopiers in office environments where they did not like making big messes.

After all you do not want to get toner on a $1000.00 Brooks Bros. Suit lol  It was not really designed for cleaning computers but worked pretty good for that.

It was not much bigger than a large coffee thermos but sucked as hard as a large shop vac.  Probably why the $300.00 price tag.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:22 AM

Xerox had some really nice units made but weren't battery powered.  Mostly made to pick up toner but good all around unit.  Compressed air has caused more faults from too much water in the air stream that collected dust and dirt and mad mud under the chips.  Proper cleaning should be with a vacuum, short bristle brush, followed with a de-greasing agent (bio-degradable) and flushed with clear water.  Then finally washed with a non-residue electronic cleaner and let air dry.  Canned sir works well but must be held upright to prevent the propellant from "frosting" the board and components.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2016 - 11:27 AM

Xerox had some really nice units made but weren't battery powered.  Mostly made to pick up toner but good all around unit.  Compressed air has caused more faults from too much water in the air stream that collected dust and dirt and mad mud under the chips.  Proper cleaning should be with a vacuum, short bristle brush, followed with a de-greasing agent (bio-degradable) and flushed with clear water.  Then finally washed with a non-residue electronic cleaner and let air dry.  Canned sir works well but must be held upright to prevent the propellant from "frosting" the board and components.

That is correct. The shop air we used had an extremely good water filter as air was also used for the CMM. I would not use any compressed air unless I knew there was a good water filter attached.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users