Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When 'Free' Windows 10 Becomes Expensive, You Should Fear This

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:55 AM

Just came across this Forbes article by Gordon Kelly and thought it might be of interest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/01/27/when-free-windows-10-becomes-expensive-fear-this/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&ref=yfp#1c7aa143538d

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

Microsoft's transparency lately has been about as clear as mud. Everybody I know has committed to leaving Windows after 2020 for Windows 7 and 2023 for Windows 8. After that it will be new computers running linux with a VM running Windows 7 for certain programs. Just my personal preference. 

Windows 10? Microsoft's no comment for what happens after 2025 doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Look at the comment by Jacob Rothschild, first comment, on this page. Kind of scary as Windows 10 gets in deep with UEFI. See this post.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:43 AM

The long and the short of it is in the final two sentences of Tom McNamara's article, Windows 10: six-month report card:  "But Windows 10 is inevitable, and most users of Windows 7 and 8.1 can upgrade to it for free for the next six months. You can make an argument for upgrading to Windows 10 now, so that you're prepared when it becomes necessary."

Anyone who is thinking of staying with Windows long-term would be insane to insist on avoiding Windows 10.   Whether you upgrade to it now, by the end of July, or pay for it later you will be transitioning to Windows 10 if you intend to stay on the Windows OS.

I also think his estimate of it taking "a good hour" to go through all the privacy settings.  If you're really concerned then go in and switch everything off.  As he noted, if you decide to run an app that needs access you'll get an error message stating that it needs access to a given device or data set.  I set virtually everything off and have not yet had a single request for access, but that's because I simply don't use the things that require it.  It would have made no difference if I hadn't set these off, because one must use the apps in question for data collection to take place in the first place (I'm ignoring system health reporting, which you can also turn off if you wish).

In the final analysis:  If you simply can't stand dealing with Windows 10 then don't.  It is a choice.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

Anyone who is thinking of staying with Windows long-term would be insane to insist on avoiding Windows 10.   Whether you upgrade to it now, by the end of July, or pay for it later you will be transitioning to Windows 10 if you intend to stay on the Windows OS.

100% in agreement on this. For the average user go for 10. My qualification is if a user plans on purchasing a new computer with windows 10 pre-installed after 2020 for windows 7 or 2023 for Windows 8.1 they should seriously consider whether to do the upgrade, especially if it a Windows 7 computer and all your programs are running nicely. At least create a disk image which 90% of the users out there don't know what it is or how to do it.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:33 PM

Well, I'm thoroughly disenchanted with MS and their latest OS and will be migrating to Linux.

It will be interesting to see how many more times MS can 'shoot themselves in the foot' until they feel the pain.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,970 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:38 PM

When moving to linux I recommend you have one Windows computer to fall back on. Taking the time to learn the ins and outs of linux will make it less frustrating. In the linux forum there pinned posts that will help, especially the pinned post on free linux books. You can also take a free class here that will introduce you to linux.

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Pots #3, are you thnking that ms might try forcing upgrades onto win 7/8.1 users? Full forcing as opposed to their current tactic of trying to do everything automatically(offering it, then downloading it...) barring the user accepting upgrade.

And Post#3, your last line
If that's so that's fine, if it actually does stay a choice to use one's current OS until and (inadvisably but for some people unavoidably) after it's support ends. But it's not alright at all, if ms tries to force users who are happy with their current OS onto one they don't want.

Speaking personally it is my intention to stay with windows 8.1 until it stops getting security updates, after that I'll move to linux. But I'm trying to, in what little spare time I get, do some testing of linux now.

Edited by rp88, 28 January 2016 - 12:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:40 PM

The point is that Windows 10 is it there will not be another Windows according to Microsoft so no matter what anyone does we will all end up on 10 at some point in our lives. Also there really is no such thing as completely free. Things get paid for some how eventually.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#9 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

When moving to linux I recommend you have one Windows computer to fall back on. Taking the time to learn the ins and outs of linux will make it less frustrating. In the linux forum there pinned posts that will help, especially the pinned post on free linux books. You can also take a free class here that will introduce you to linux.

Thanks for that, John. I have a live DVD of Linux Mint 17.2 Rafael, Cinnamon 64 bit that I have been utilizing. I did this upon the recommendation of the Linux Forum so as to explore and somewhat familiarize myself with it. It is similar to Windows in some ways.

Currently considering my options as I have only a desktop with Win 7 Pro installed. Do I want to dual boot or maybe other options? I don't know yet.

But those are questions best served asking in the Linux Forum. Again, thanks for the input and the link to Linux class.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:32 PM

Pots #3, are you thnking that ms might try forcing upgrades onto win 7/8.1 users? Full forcing as opposed to their current tactic of trying to do everything automatically(offering it, then downloading it...) barring the user accepting upgrade.

No. Anyone who wants to stay on whatever previous version of Windows they wish, as many have done with Windows going back to before WinXP, can continue to do so. If you've got hardware that can run the latest version it's blatantly foolish to do so, but that will be your call, as it always has been.

I don't blame Microsoft or any other tech company for pushing their "latest and greatest" even when I may object to exactly how they're doing it. Perpetual support has never and will never exist for previous iterations of operating systems.

And Post#3, your last line
If that's so that's fine, if it actually does stay a choice to use one's current OS until and (inadvisably but for some people unavoidably) after it's support ends. But it's not alright at all, if ms tries to force users who are happy with their current OS onto one they don't want.

Even though some of the tactics Microsoft has used can be characterized as, let us say, unsubtle and questionable, none of them are actual force. I'm still trying to figure out why some people are being almost literally nagged to death while the three machines I have here that have had GWX on them since the earliest "Reserve Windows 10" days [and, BTW, I did] emit a peep only very intermittently. If I dismiss the install nag it stays dismissed for days at a time.  I have no doubt that the differential behavior is real, but no one can explain it that I've seen.

Edited by britechguy, 28 January 2016 - 06:33 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:56 PM

There will come a time when new, retail hardware will not run Win 7 well. Older, used, computers will still be available for several more years, for the diehard fans, but, just as we had to bid a fond farewell to 98SE, Win 7 will not live forever.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,102 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

There will come a time when new, retail hardware will not run Win 7 well. Older, used, computers will still be available for several more years, for the diehard fans, but, just as we had to bid a fond farewell to 98SE, Win 7 will not live forever.

Precisely.   I really fail to comprehend how those who've been involved with technology for decades fail to comprehend that, "Nothing is so constant as change."  [Or any number of the variants of that aphorism.]  The "Silicon Sphere" lives by that with a speed that few others do, or ever will.

~ Austin O'Malley

#13 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:14 PM

Yes, I'm still running a W7 laptop - even if as a curio more than anything.

About taking the time to learn Linux - I found this issue to be a bit of a furphie.

I had been using Windows all my life - W7 the latest.

I loaded Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.2 (now 17.3) on a separate machine. It was the BEST thing I ever done, computer wise.

The learning curve was brief - nothing to speak of. I had proficiency within a couple of hours, if that.

I was doing ALL my work on it, within a couple of days. All easy. One reason for this, may be that LMC is not unlike Windows XP / W7, though I wasn't particularly seeking that in the first place.

I just find it delightful, pleasing, easy, intuitive, clean, free of all the JUNK JUNK JUNK and circuitous diversions and laborious, time consuming, never ending obligations you get in W10.

Remember my motto - it's like stepping out of servitude into the sweet are of freedom !!!

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

#14 leithanne

leithanne

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2016 - 05:39 PM

I have to agree with you, Jargos. Current Linux distros, and Mint in particular, are so easy to learn, it's not the Linux of even 5 years ago. As long as you don't need Windows-specific programs (like Office), there is no reason not to switch if you dislike Windows. I choose to run both. Best of all possible worlds.

Still, until one is sure that all the programs and peripherals one needs will fly with the penguin, it's best to keep one foot in the Windows world.

#15 jargos

jargos

• Members
  • 664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

Agree, mostly.

But you would be surprised - if not tried already.

Someone sent me a MSFT Excel Spreadsheet. LibreOffice opened it instantly - in it's 'ods' format. All formulas and formatting intact, except for the column width, which was fixed by me in seconds.

I sent people LibreOffice Writer (odt) files. They have no problem in opening them with Microsoft Wordpad, I am advised, and not one person has reported inaccessibility to me. In fact, the opposite - they are quite pleased, as the full formatting of my odt document is maintained - and, when they send back to me, same.

LOL .. and get this .. someone sent my daughter's W10 machine, a Windows Office document, and of course, as she hasn't bent the knee and emptied her purse to the Great Overlord, she couldn't open it.

I said .."send it to my Linux machine, luv"

And she did - and I opened it instantly and sent it back to her in odt, and her Wordpad opened it intact.

Servitude .. sweet air of Freedom .. see what I mean ? :-)

Linux Mint 17.2 Cinnamon on older, Pentium 4 desktop.

Win 7 on Medion Akoya i3 laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users