Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot failure and AVGIDSEH.SYS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 3ananas

3ananas

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Dear all,

Four days ago when launching windows my computer kept loading without end.

Booting in safe mode stops at AVGIDSEH.SYS.

I have read various forums on this topic and understand it is a problem with AVG driver AVGIDSEH.SYS but I cannot solve the problem using the AVG Recovery CD method.

When I boot with AVG Recovery ISO on a DVD it simply shows a black screen.

When I boot with AVG Recovery USB version it states:

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM.
Missing operating system

Can anyone help me? I am at a loss here. On one forum it stated that: “Some users solved this by changing SATA mode from AHCI to IDE compatibility mode in BIOS” -  but I get a blue screen and crash when attempting this.

My computer specs:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y550
Windows Vista
BIOS version: 15CN28WW (V2.01)

If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 29 January 2016 - 12:08 AM.
Moved from Vista to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:53 AM

You can do the same thing with a small linux CD. Download Puppy linux tahrpup here.  tahr64-6.0.5.iso  Burn the iso file. On a Windows 7 computer right click the iso file and select burn disk image. If on XP you can use a program called Imgburn to burn the iso to disk. If using Imgburn opt out of any optional programs during the install.

Boot Puppy linux. You will see your hard drive partitions in the lower left of the desktop. Your Windows partition may be sda1 or sda2. Click once on a sdaX partition. The partition will automatically mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your Windows folder then close the File Manager and click another sdaX partition. You can browse to the .sys file per AVG's instructions. In Puppy you only need to click once to open a folder. Instead of deleting the file I would rename it by right clicking the file and giving it a .bak extension.

Make sure your optical drive is the first boot device in BIOS. I am not sure but Lenovo should have a boot menu you can access by tapping a key at boot. The key may be shown on the lenovo logo screen. This will let you pick your boot device.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users