Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Securing my Admin user account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zedmond

Zedmond

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

​Until recently, I was using an Admin privileged user account on my Windows 10 PC for all use. I now use a non-admin account for all use and have 2 Admin privileged accounts in back. One Admin account I use to authorize anything requiring admin privileges and the other I don't touch I just have as a back up restore point.

My question is if I should disable internet on the Admin account that acts simply as my restore point? Is there a security benefit to doing this or could it be a security risk due to not getting auto updates?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

The extra admin account is unnecessary since it does not serve the purpose for which you intended, i.e. as a restore point.  One admin account and one standard account should be sufficient.

Also, the "internet" or a network connection does not work in the way you describe.  Disabling the wireless connection on one account disables it for all accounts on that machine.  You cannot selectively turn on the wireless for one account and not for others.  The same goes if you are using a wired connection.

I am assuming that you mean Windows updates, which are updates to the operating system.  Once the operating system is receiving updates, those updates apply to all users on the same machine.  The operating system is central to all users.  Although individual users may apply their own settings (e.g. wallpaper) or install applications for their sole use, those things do not affect the operating system as a whole.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 11:02 AM

Agouti, there may one work-around.  IF his firewall allows each user, each account, to set preferences, it is possible for the one admin acct to Block All.  I can't vouch for that 'cause I've never tried that.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:40 PM

If the OP is using Windows Firewall I believe any rules in existence will apply equally to all users.  Personally, I am not aware of any third party firewall that will allow the setting of rules on a per user basis.  If you know of one that can do that perhaps you could recommend it to the OP.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:02 PM

Agouti, I can't.  I know of no way to do what the thread starter wants to do.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#6 Zedmond

Zedmond
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the info. Obviously disabling the internet on one of the accounts is unnecessary since none of you do it. I'll get rid of one of my Admin accounts.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users