Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking to upgrade mobo and CPU | to be used for everything!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:26 AM

Hi,

I'm going to finally try to upgrade my mobo and CPU after 8 years with my previous build which served me well over the years but has recently started to display planned obsolescence.

I'm looking to use this new build for everything, NAS, HTPC and surfing the web.

I've picked out the case for housing everything, it's a HTPC case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163196&cm_re=htpc_cases-_-11-163-196-_-Product

What I would like to get is some advice on what to put inside this case as far as mobo and CPU go.

I'm giving me a budget of just over $500 for the mobo and CPU.

I tend to prefer Intel for CPU and Gigabyte (maybe ASUS is\f it has everything on it that I'm looking for) for mobo.

For the CPU an i7 may be the best performer for over the years? (Maybe i5 or i3?).

For the mobo one video card slot would be the best with at least two (usable, not lost to the video card) PCI Express slots, two or three PCI slots. Audio must have a toslink option for fiber optics.

I'll be cannibalizing from my 2008 make for everything else.

I expect to get at least 5 years out of this build and most likely 8 to 10.

So, any advice that will help me get great parts will be greatly appreciated as always!

John

Edited by Johnz414, 28 January 2016 - 01:28 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

I doubt you need an i7, an i5 would be good but you aren't gaming so it may be a bit overpowered, perhaps even an i3 would do.  You may not be able to get the $500 limit due to selecting a newer platform and CPU.  For the motherboard, you can consider the GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 3, for the CPU, Intel Core i5-6500 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz LGA 1151.  You'll need to buy RAM, such as the Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133.  Unless you have a boxed, retail copy of Windows you can move to another system, a new motherboard will require a new copy of Windows available here.

3939.png

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

DJBPace07 thanks for the suggestions.

I have been doing more research on what might be good for my build and I've started thinking about future proofing and thought it might me wise to purchase a little over kill for the long hall for all the future upgrades that I haven't even though of yet.

Anyhow, I've just come across an AsRock mobo that looks like it could be a great choice for future proofing with lots of options over the ASUS mobos that I've looked at.

(Oh, I've started looking at the ASUS because of the many boards inclusion of the new DisplayPort video hookup option.)

I've heard mixed things about the AsRock mobos and would appreciate peoples honest feedback on them so that I make the best purchase possible.

(I found ASUS mobos getting the greatest praise over all other mobos but AsRock seems to have more of everything (more SATA ports, more SATA Express ports, more M.2 ports, more USB 3.0 ports, etc.) on their boards but are they reliable?).

So, any input on what ever mobo you think is the best most reliable and future proof would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the AsRock mobo:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157627&cm_re=moterhboards_with_DisplayPort-_-13-157-627-_-Product

Here are the other contenders for the build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132639&cm_re=moterhboards_with_DisplayPort-_-13-132-639-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132640&cm_re=moterhboards_with_DisplayPort-_-13-132-640-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566&cm_re=moterhboards_with_DisplayPort-_-13-132-566-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128837&ignorebbr=1

I will most likely be getting the RAM suggested by DJBPace07. I may get the i5 DJBPace07 suggest too but I am entertaining an i7 again for future proofing purposes.

I hope to use this build for at least 8 to 10 years, my last build lasting 8 years. Future proofing seems to be a good appraoch for this, I hope.

John

PS I am now looking to make this build ASAP, I am getting tired of the lack of performance of my current PC. Again thanks for any and all input!

Edited by Johnz414, 12 February 2016 - 05:36 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 15 February 2016 - 05:37 PM

Background Data

I'm a no-frills user with simple tastes and I think that I really prefer Asrock boards to Asus...for no particular reason :).  I have had both and have no complaints about either...but I don't game and I don't try to do exotic experiments with my systems...and I'm not enamored with speed, gadgets, and functions that I personally don't use.

DJB can probably give you good info on what is likely to be suitable for your stated tastes.

Louis

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Thanks for the advice hamluis. I am not a gamer myself. I can hardly imagine a more colossal waste of time.

My thought are just about future proofing for all the changes yet to come that we are hardly aware of, that's why I am hedging toward the Asrock. It has lots of features that may come into play in the future.

However, I've never had Asrock motherboard before. I just want to make sure that the motherboard is reliable and still working when those changes come around. So thank for the input!

Edited by Johnz414, 15 February 2016 - 06:52 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 16 February 2016 - 06:53 AM

If you aren't gaming or doing any computationally intensive tasks, such as video rendering or scientific calculations, an older or less powerful processor will easily do, even for several years.  I haven't used ASRock boards before, but they originally started as a budget brand for Asus, usually with thinner boards and less quality.  Asus and Gigabyte motherboards are usually what most gamers choose due to quality.  A good half-step in between Asus/Gigabyte and ASRock is MSI.

For me, I usually go for Asus or Gigabyte.  Specifically, SKU's that are highly rated, but don't cost very much.  I don't need M.2 slots (I prefer, for now, traditional SSD's in SATA) nor do I need more than six SATA ports, two PCI-Express X16 slots (Three if there are no X1 slots on the board), nor do I need a suite of overclocking tools and BIOS/UEFI rollback features.  I aim for less than $200 with motherboards, I want reliability with those features I mentioned, not an "Everything plus the kitchen sink" motherboard that costs a small fortune.

I currently use a first generation Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard from 2011, it hasn't given me any problems.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users