Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10..... Ho-hum, la-di-da....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:00 PM

Well, I made the plunge and upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.  Let me share my experience....

The upgrade went pretty smoothly, actually.  All my hardware worked, I was able to get online, run all my programs, and it retained all my settings/passwords from the previous OS.

BUT......

One of the things I've noticed (other than the "where are the setting options for this" nonsense), is that certain settings do not run properly if you have specific services disabled.

For example, I use ERUNT to make a registry backup at every startup.  In Win 7, this worked flawlessly.  However, once upgraded, I would get an error when this program ran of "Access Denied".  After googling, I found a solution that worked....I had to change a policy setting in the registry that had something like:  "EnableLUA"=dword:00000000.

However, I'm now unable to open any of the apps...it states:  "This app can't open" and that I can't use the built-in Administrator account and to log-in under a different user.  WTF?  I fix one problem (with ERUNT) and create another?

Also, when I try and open Windows Store, it flashes open for 1/2 a second and then closes immediately.

These above issues are common to many users....I just don't get it.  MS is aggressively pushing this OS on us in a desperate manner and putting all their profits on this Golden Goose.  But they make these stupid security changes that cause more problems then they solve.

I've also had a problem with the latest Win 10 build when I was asked to install it through Windows update.  It would attempt to download the update but would immediately error out with error 0x800706b9Upon further investigation, the cause of this error was the fact that the Windows Firewall was disabled.  Well, DUH....I use Comodo firewall instead and have turned Win Firewall off and disabled the service....REALLY???  TURNING OFF THE NATIVE FIREWALL CAUSES WINDOWS UPDATE TO FAIL???

So far, I'm not that impressed with Win 10.  I don't get it when MS decides to hide system settings or remove the ability to customize certain settings that were readily available in Win 7 or earlier.

Not sure what the consensus is out there on this "state of the art" operating system, but IMHO, if Microsoft continues their arrogant attitude on telling us "we know what is best for you and you don't", they will forever struggle trying to win people over with their latest and greatest offerings.

Finally, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix my above issues, your input would surely be welcome. :guitar:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:20 PM

For example, I use ERUNT to make a registry backup at every startup. In Win 7, this worked flawlessly.

ERUNT isn't fully compatible with Windows 7, and even less starting at Windows 8. So I wouldn't assume that it's compatible under Windows 10, nor is it safe to use it.

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/faq.htm

I suggest you to use another program to back-up your Registry. Registry Backup by Tweaking.com is a really good one, and easy to use as well.

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/registry_backup.html

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:52 AM

This can happen when you start fooling around with the registry.  Why not just make periodic full system backups with incremental backups at least daily?  That's what works for me.  You can get 1 TB external hard drives for as little as $50 US, and there are hundreds of good backup/restore programs available.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:45 PM

Yes that is a good point unless you are pretty good with computers I never attempt to mess with the registry or fool around with the registry. You can mess up many a good computer that way. As for backing things up I would do what Niweg said and also for small files like pictures and documents those usb thumb drives if they are a good storage size work good for saving things as well. 

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users