Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Screen goes glitchy when running on battery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Criterion22

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:45 PM

ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 (Home edition, version 1511), the screen on my laptop (Dell XPS17) goes glitchy whenever the machine is running off the battery - please see photo attached. As soon as I plug it back into the mains the problem corrects itself. I don't always have access to a mains plug so I'd like to be able to use the laptop with just the battery, and not plugged into the mains.

Have you seen this before? Please could you help or advise on how to fix this?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,135 posts
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:53 AM

Install latest graphic driver if this wont resolve the issue upgrade BIOS firmware and graphic card BIOS firmware.

Edited by FreeBooter, 28 January 2016 - 07:54 AM.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:44 AM

Try increasing the brightness when on battery.  The control is in the Power Options applet of the Control Panel.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,077 posts
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:47 PM

This sounds more like a battery problem if it only happens when running on battery power alone. It certainly seems that the battery is not supplying sufficient voltage to run the screen. As most of us don't have spare batteries lying around and checking it off the computer will not give a true reading, this article may help -

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users