Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Image with Macrium

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ozarkjack

Ozarkjack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:07 PM

I am a basic computer user that decided I should do a system image of my C drive in case of a failure and also because I would like to try Windows 10 with a backup of what I currently have that I can return to if I don’t like Windows 10.  I am now running Windows 7 Professional, service pack 1, on an AMD processor (64 bit).  It was recommended I use the free version of Macrium as it does a more complete system image than does the Windows system image version.  So I downloaded Macrium v6.  I then created a rescue media using a 4GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive formatted FAT 32, and it indicated a successful completion. 
Using Macrium again I did a system image on a Bipra 100GB External Drive formatted NTFS and that also indicated a successful completion.
The forum on the Macrium web site recommended that I ensure that both the Rescue Media and the System Image are good before I try downloading Windows 10.  The problem is that I do not know how to verify the Rescue Media or the System Image.  I cannot post a question on the Macrium forum as I have used their “free” version, and I see no further reference in the questions already posted by others.
So here in a nutshell here are my questions:

• How do I verify that both the Rescue Media on the flash drive, and the System Image on the external drive are valid and will work to restore my Windows 7 if needed?
  • I have heard some people indicate that there are problems with Windows 10 and that I should stay where I am at.  What are your feelings regarding upgrading to Windows 10?
  • If I upgrade to Windows 10 will my current files in Word, Excel, and pictures in Picasa still work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, John

Edit: Moved topic from All Other Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

IMHO, you did well to make a backup with Macrium.  When you upgrade to Windows 10 you actually have a 30-day window in which you could revert to the previous operating system but I have read where a few people had issues with this.  When you make an image with Macrium you have no such limitation.  You can restore that image any time.

Okay.  Now on to your questions.

1. (i) You can follow this article to verify your image.  (ii) To test the Rescue Media...

• Insert the flash drive.
  • Reboot the computer.
  • Before the manufacturer's logo appears, tap the hot key to enter your BIOS or UEFI.  Depending on the make and model of your computer, this could be ESC, F1, F2, etc.
  • In your BIOS or UEFI, change the boot order by placing the flash drive at the top of the list.
  • Additionally, if you have a UEFI computer you have to temporarily turn off Secure Boot and change the boot mode to Legacy or CSM.
  • Save your changes and exit.
  • If your computer boots into the Macrium Rescue environment you are good to go.

2. Personally, I haven't experienced any major issues with Windows 10, however, that is just me.  Depending on your hardware or the software you use YMMV.

3. Yes.  You should still be able to open or edit Word and Excel files or view your pictures.  I don't use Picasa but I see no reason why it shouldn't continue working as normal.

#3 PeterStevens

PeterStevens

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 04 February 2016 - 07:30 AM

There are plenty of altenatives to Macrium out there (some of them are even free) including:

Clonezilla: http://clonezilla.org/ (this is free, some people love it, but requires a little more technical knowledge than some paid solutions out there)

ActiveImage Protector: https://www.netjapan.eu/en-eu/backup-software/windows/automated/pc-desktop/ (this is not free, but it's very good)

Acronis: http://www.acronis.com/en-eu/personal/ (this is not free, some people love it, some people hate it)

And that's just for starters... You can find a complete list of BU/DR solutions on Wikipedia.

As I can see you're concerned about the recoverability (and rightfully so) some solutions have add-ons that let you boot the image to check it works/is recoverable, so it gives you peace of mind.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck!

Cheers,

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users