Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I View the Properties of a Windows 10 Mail App Email?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Today I received a dubious email, from a person unknown, to which a .zip file was attached, purporting to be a copy of an invoice.  I saved the attachment, and then scanned it with Bitdefender and MBAM, both of which reported negative results.  I then carefully opened (not extracted) the .zip file using SecureZip.  There was a single file in the .zip container, which had a .js file extension (Java Script).

I don't have Java installed on my computer, but I took no chances, and used "Eraser" to shred the .zip file that I had saved in my "Downloads" folder and then deleted the email from my In-Box and Trash.

In my Windows 7 days, using Live Mail, I could right-click an email and display its properties to determine from whence it had originated, and other useful information, which was very helpful in determining the authenticity, and originator, of the email.

I did a few quick Google searches on the subject and found a few people asking the same question, but I did not find a satisfactory answer.

If it is not yet possible to view "Properties" using Windows 10 Mail, I sure hope that the folks at Microsoft enhance Windows 10 Mail soon to include that feature.  As it is, it is a pretty bare-bones mail reader.

In the interim, is there a good mail reader, fully compatible with Windows 10, which will display email properties?  I don't mind purchasing the software.  I would rather be safe than sorry.  As we all know, emails are great way to spread malware.

Thank you for any advice, suggestions, and/or answers.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:27 PM

I use Pocketknife peek ( http://www.xintercept.com/peek/pkpeek.htm ) in conjunction with full Microsoft outlook to examine email befor opening it. As a free aternative, I've not used it for a while, but I think that you sould be able to view full headers through Mozilla Thunderbird (https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/ )

There are masses of infected emails similar to that which you described doing the rounds at the moment - severe caution is advised. 

On a side point.js files are NOT the same Java that everyone maligns (rightly in my view) They are Javascript which is an entirely different scripting language unrelated to "Java". In w web browser, Javascript is relatively safe, as a bare .js file on a PC being executed by WScript or CScript, it is a general scripting language (inbuilt in modern versions of Windows), which if told to do nasty things, will do exactly what it's told. You do not need oracle Jave installed to run .js files.

x64

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:05 PM

If it is not yet possible to view "Properties" using Windows 10 Mail, I sure hope that the folks at Microsoft enhance Windows 10 Mail soon to include that feature.

I doubt Microsoft will ever enhance the Mail app or at least not in the foreseeable future.  Remember, Universal apps are suppose to be light weight enough to run on mobile platforms.  If they keep adding features pretty soon it won't be light weight anymore.

#4 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

Thank you, x64 and Agouti, for the information.  Good to know that it is just not me.  I also appreciated the information on .js files, x64.  I had not known that before.  Always learning.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users