Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi Issue with Laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 josmelo92

josmelo92

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:23 PM

Hello everyone,

I have had a very frustrating issue with my laptop that has been going on for months. I've done tons of google research with tips and tricks to try and fix my issue, but nothing seems to work.

Basically my issue is that the further my laptop is away from my router (and I'm literally talking only about 20ft away) the wi-fi signal drops significantly. And before anyone suggests an issue with my router, I have done a speed test at the same distance away with multiple devices and I'm getting at least 100mbps which is what my internet package includes, but with my laptop, I only get between 10 to 22 mbps. Any suggestions, tips, and or ideas of what is causing this issue would be greatly appreciated. My guess is it is something wrong with the built in wireless adapter of the laptop, but I'm not a computer genius so that's just a guess.

Thanks again in advance,

Joseph  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 03:33 PM

What is the make and model of the computer? What is the OS and is it 32bit or 64bit. 

Right click the Wireless adapter in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

#3 josmelo92

josmelo92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:38 PM

It is an Acer Aspire V7-582P. It's running on Windows 10 and it's 64bit.

And here is the Hardware I.D.  PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_40608086&REV_73

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:01 PM

There have been a lot of issues with Windows 10 and wireless. That is the intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I would create a restore point before doing the following. It would not be a bad idea to create a Recovery Drive on a USB too. At step 5 uncheck include system files. If it asks if you want to delete the recovery partition after creation select no. This USB can then be used to boot and do a System Restore even if the computer does not boot normally.

Download the Windows 10 driver from intel here. Do not install if you see that the driver version in Device Manager is newer. 

The driver I linked to was updated 1/19/2016 so it is fairly recent.

I would download the file that includes the intel wireless software.  

Windows® 10, 64-bit

Language: English

Size: 96.08 MB

Download the file to a folder on your PC. Double click on the file to launch installation.

Intel® Wireless Display customers:
How to update your software:
1. Close the Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi) software.
2. Install the Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software.
3. Install the Intel® WiDi software.

It is not necessary to install the WiDi software, Only the Intel ProSet/Wireless Software. Reboot after installation.

#5 josmelo92

josmelo92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:17 PM

I should have previously mentioned. I have done a complete factory reset on the computer and even reverted back to Windows 8 to see if that would solve the issue. It did not. I have since upgraded once again to Windows 10. So should I still continue on with all the other steps you laid out?

ALSO -

I did notice that this issue did start around the time when I originally upgraded to Windows 10, but like I said going back to Windows 8 didn't change anything

Edited by josmelo92, 27 January 2016 - 05:19 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,222 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

It could very well be the Wifi card giving up. I would try the updated driver and see if it helps.  

Have you tried a different channel on the router? You could try removing and reseating the wireless card if it is easy to get at. Pull any power brick, remove the main battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Touch some bare metal of the case before removing the card. Make sure the antenna wires are securely attached to the wifi card. If you need to split the case to get at the card then forget it.

If not you can purchase a Wifi dongle. A good one is from Tplink. Ebay sells generic ones but I can't say they will work with Windows 10. The Tplink dongle is Windows 10 plug and play. It can be purchased at walmart ship to store free for about $9.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users