Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE on W10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Al Dee

Al Dee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:58 PM

Does any know why IE11 does not work well on W10. It is extremely slow to open or go to a site. Everything else on the computer works fine and it has been cleaned with spybot, malwarebytes, super antispyware, cccleaner and glary to no avail. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 plover1940

plover1940

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:05 PM

I have the same problem.  I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and I am totally disgusted with it.  My computer crashes more in a day than ever with all my other previous OS.

#3 harukinakagawa

harukinakagawa

Authorized FixMeStick Representative

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

Have you tried using another browser? Google Chrome, for example?

Best,
Haruki

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 January 2016 - 03:13 PM.
edited to remove reference to a commercial product

#4 Al Dee

Al Dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:05 AM

All other browsers work fine. That is not the point. The question is why is this happening and is there a fix?

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 28 January 2016 - 07:47 AM

Start Internet Explorer without any add-ons to eliminate any one of add-ons causing the issue. The No Add-ons mode allows Internet Explorer to temporarily run without any add-ons like Toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc. The No addons mode in Internet Explorer is rather useful when you want to troubleshoot incompatible browser add-ons or extensions. It is also very useful when you want to troubleshoot a problem like say freezing of your IE, to identify whether it is related to any add-on. Add-ons are programs that supplement your web browser with additional features such as tool bars and ActiveX controls. Some come pre-installed in Internet Explorer while some are installed via the Internet. It is relatively easy to install Internet Explorer add-ons. They require your permission before getting installed on your system. But some may do without your consent.
Type iexplore.exe -extoff into either Run dialog box or into Command Prompt to open IE in No addons mode. Then if you need to, the through Internet Options > Manage Add-ons, you can enable or disable each add-on to identify which, if any, add-on is creating problems.

Posted Image

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

I've got Windows 10 on two desktops and a laptop and IE11 works fine for me.  So I'm inclined to agree with FreeBooter that the problem is likely caused by one of your add-ons.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 plover1940

plover1940

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 04:01 PM

I think I have made progress.  My computer seems to be much faster now. After running tools at this site to clean up the computer, things were found and that helped.

Next I did as administrator a sfc \sannow and that found corruption that it could not fix. 

Then I did a DISM scan and found out that I needed an ISO file to repair. So, I downloaded a matching file for it from Microsoft. Then, I learned that I must mount that ISO file to a virtual drive for DISM to access. Cyberlink sort of did that for me easy enough after I right clicked the ISO and chose Mount to a virtual drive.  I did that and ran 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:L:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

After running it with with the ISO that had been saved to desktop and mounted to a virtual drive L, the scan came back clean. There were no more files corrupt or not repaired. After that I did another sfc /scannow, this time it repaired more files and pronounced me clean. I then opened the virtual drive L with Cyberlink and it unmounted it. I deleted it then.

Then, I downloaded the Norton Remove and Re-install tool for my Norton 360 Premier. I did that because after all this work, it seemed somewhat buggy. It is good to do this with Norton at times.

I can now move about easily for a change, at least until Windows does another corrupt update. BTW yesterday's update made it worse.  I hope this helps. I thought this was going to be above my paygrade, but it worked. I was to the point of thinking of starting from scratch. At least for now I don't have to do that.  There are several places that you can get a step by step which is what I did.  Here and Windows10forum were a big help. I hope this make sense since I am by no means an expert or techno person.

#8 Al Dee

Al Dee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

Thank you all for your help. After a lot of digging, I opened Program Files and found three strange programs. After taking the usual precautions, I deleted them. Problem solved. Thanks again

#9 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:35 PM

Windows 10 is made for Microsoft Edge that's probably why. They have killed off most of IE browsers. 11 is still supported though and should work. I am glad you solved your problem though. Also slow web browsing could be from cookies and other internet files clogging up.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#10 plover1940

plover1940

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

My IE is flying now just like it did before Windows 10.  Where all those corrupt Windows files came from is a mystery.  I suppose they were delivered that way.  Some of those Windows updates have been brutal with crashes. I prefer what I install and that does not happen with Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users